"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

*meow* *bling*

I was awakened at 4am by an SMS telling me my direct mailer from my previous workplace won a Gold Lion at Cannes. Still swimming in sleep, I thought I was dreaming. Then JD (ex-colleague and art director on this project) called, telling me it wasn't official, but it's a definite Gold (a little bird in Cannes told him). I flopped back into bed. And couldn't sleep for the rest of the night.

I was feeling cautiously optimistic when I went to work all blurry eyed. I wasn't gonna hold my breath until the results were officially out. Then JD called with the confirmation.

GOLD!

Phone calls started coming in from my ex-colleagues. They shared in the happiness and were full of good wishes. Then they told me about the things they were seeing and hearing in their building, and confirmed yet again for me that award shows bring out the worst in people. Sigh. I told myself that I'm not gonna get sucked into a landmine of fragile egos. I believe credit should be given where credit is due. But one person's behaviour was pissing off not just me, but my ex-colleagues as well. I tried to see the humour in the situation, but I couldn't help feeling a little annoyed. Phhhbpptt...

Anyhow, I've decided to let it be. I know this project was my idea and that's good enough for me. And I'm very grateful to the people who have fought, pushed and worked hard for it, even after I left the agency. That's all that matters.

It took 5 years for this idea to see the light of day. And for it to be recognised, I'm thrilled to bits.

But like they say, you're only as good as your last ad. And I've been as dry as a desert for the longest time. Although this is a new 'win', the idea was conceived a long time ago, when I had more drive and passion for this business.

That said, winning does feel very nice.
Crossing my fingers for JH's radio commercial now. It's a Cannes finalist and the results will be out tomorrow. I helped out with that one, but I'm in no hurry to claim ownership, hahaha. The little drama that unfolded late last year thanks to this radio (it won at the Kancils) was quite ugly to watch.

I'm on a little high now, but I know it's temporary. The real challenge is to stay motivated
and stay in the radar. Gonna be a tough shot. Especially when there are other things out there I want to do and experience. Things that have little to do with advertising, if at all. Things that don't involve egos bigger than our advertising budgets.

I'll just enjoy this while it lasts.
My previous agency better get me that freaking trophy cos I sure can't afford it! Hahaha! The agency gets one, but duplicates must be paid out of our own pockets. This gold-plated door-stopper lion-head costs £680 and another £105 to courier (about RM5500 in total).


Don't even know if it's real gold or not. Nuts!

Labels:

15 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

congrats, babe. Very proud of you. though being a stupid, under-the-coconut-shell frog engineer, i have no idea how big this thing is in the creative industry. but to have you woken up at 4am, i'm sure it must've been huge =)

i tarak tumpang glamour cos i no understanding.

but anyhoo, this weekend we drinky-drink to celebrate, k? :)

3:12 pm  
Blogger adriene said...

congrats weina :)

5:04 pm  
Blogger Lumos Maxima said...

wahhhh so gootie!! CONGRATULATIONS AH LUTT!!!

wahhhh i think very big orr lah. *thumbs up*

8:11 pm  
Blogger Yue-li said...

ah geek, this is like THE award show in our industry. somemore ah, ah nut win Gold already.. never even belanja me makan.. even though i told her congratulations so many times :*(

10:42 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Geek: Hahahaha! Yes, we drinky drinky, but no booze for. Otherwise cannot bangun for the run :D

Adriene: Thanks, beb. And I still think what YOU do is more meaningful.

Lumos: lengkiu lengkiu!

Yules: Tea egg not makan meh? KAKAKAKAKA! I buy more tea egg for you tmrw lorrr :D

10:48 pm  
Blogger eugene said...

congratulations ah nut!!! you diddit!!! Singa Emas Cannes Perancis!! Now for the Pencil? ;)

11:28 am  
Blogger Dumpling said...

Caya la! I will be so happy if I were you.. can add in credentials and claim glory! Congrats sista!

12:00 pm  
Blogger ... said...

Er, dunno what it is, but congrats, Weina Cheche!!!!!

Big HUG!

:D

5:08 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Eug: Pencils, I think submitted liao but no luck. But tak ape lah! :D

Jeremy & Rin: Thanks :D

6:13 pm  
Blogger Spot said...

Wah! Raaawwwrrr!!! *pling pling pling*

Congratulations woman! Hey, didn't you win something else for this too? Sometime last year or so... remember seeing it on your blog.

SO CLEVER!

No need make own gold copy lah...wait i buy you paddlepop lion.

11:24 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Spot: Tankiu tankiu. HAHAAHAHAHAA. Ya, this one won a couple of awards before but only one mainstream award show (Asian Adfest). The rest were pretty niche DM awards, which sadly, are not as highly regarded.

Paddlepop Lion? KAKKAKAAKAKAKKAK... then must be jagung flavour!!

11:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOT WOOT!! It's a GOLD Lion... that's fantastic. Congrats babe!

7:33 pm  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Wahh!! :D

More like *ROAR!* *bling!*
Congratulations Wandernut!

9:54 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Cyn & Cheryl: Thankiuuu ladies! After almost a week, the high has died down. It's work as usual. Nothing has changed - like my pay cheque. Feeling indifferent again about the hype and glitz.

These days, my heart rate goes up only when I run, or when I'm stuffing my face with good food. Jialat or not?

12:27 am  
Blogger Fruit of Eden said...

You were dry as a desert.. now you are wet...? haha *BIG HUGZ* babe! so whens the glug glug session to celebrate yahoo yahoo...

12:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home