"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Italian Roast from Starbucks

I was there after lunch today, looking for a new pack of coffee for my coffee press. I'm such a sucker for packaging, cos when I saw the cute Vespa on the Italian Roast, I just had to get it. That, and also because Starbucks in Malaysia don't carry their whole range of beans anyway. It was a choice between Italian Roast, Espresso Roast, Guatemala, Sumatra and their Limited Edition Tanzania and Arabian Mocha Sanani.

My coffee cost RM28 for 250g, which would probably last me about 2 months (at one cup per working day). The friendly store manager ground half the beans for me (so they stay fresher longer) and gave me a coffee passport! It's a cute little booklet featuring all their coffees. When you buy a pack of coffee beans, you get a nice sticker of your chosen coffee (for Italian Roast, see above), which you stick in the page featuring it.

Buy 4 different packs of coffee from different parts of the world, and you get a 5th pack of your choice, FREE! How's that for a good deal?

So back to the Italian Roast (according to the coffee passport) :
processing method
washed

complementary flavours
chocolate, caramel, spices
classification
extra bold
key term
intense
similar coffee
french roast
Made my first cup as soon as I got back to the office. It was goooood, with a slight 70% dark chocolate-ish flavour. It's a little smokey with no hint of bitterness at all, even without sugar added.

This coffee is categorised as a Dark Roast Blend (grouped with Multi-Region coffee). Now I just need to get a pack from Latin America, Africa/Arabia, and Asia/Pacific and a free pack of coffee will be mine! Muahahaha! By then I should have an idea which is my favourite! :)

Apparently it's perfect with chocolate or a sweet pastry.
Yuh-ummm!


Labels:

5 wandered by:

Blogger keensoon said...

Italian Roast is a good one. Frankly I'm surprised! Usually the novices go for Kenya and after many months then start going into other blends.

These roasts from the "dark side" are great stuff. The French Roast is just a good and smokier!

But then after a while, to really enjoy the diversity of coffee flavas, I recommend that you go to the mild ones (say after a 3 month stint with the dark roasts). Try the Breakfast Blend and as you drink it let the tastes linger on the tongue and you can suddenly taste the 'mildness' contrast.

A pack of beans on a slow period lasts me approx 2-3 weeks BTW. When I was stressed like hell on a project last year it was about 1.5 weeks per packet.

Talk about addiction! :D

11:04 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Wah liao!
How many cups did you drink a day, dude?

The coffee I bought from Bangkok, only 100g, lasted me about 3 weeks at a rate of one cup per working day. So 250g should last me about 7 to 8 weeks. I hope. Hahahaha.

Gosh, coffee must be coursing through your veins.

9:48 am  
Blogger ... said...

I like kopi-o!

Haha! So potong steam right?

-Rin

2:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

i no clatt. i drink nescafe 3-in-1 onie cos that's all i can afford 'cry

3:09 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Rin: I like kopi-o too! STEAMing hot with YAO CHAR KOAY!

Geek @ Ms Gucci: Sure or not... KAKAKAKAKAAK!

3:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home