"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Monday, August 14, 2006

Xiang Kang, wo lai le!

For the past few months, I wondered if I'd make it to Hong Kong at all. But I really need to get out of here for awhile. Breathe in some different air (albeit a tad more polluted one).

With only 4 days of annual leave left, I decided to pull out from my company trip to save on leave days (they are deducting 2 days leave for it, can you believe that!). I went to Ho Chi Minh last year with my previous agency anyway, so I'm not missing out too much. I much rather go somewhere I've not been to before.

I promised CC a few years ago that I'd be there for his wedding in Hong Kong (eventhough it was a different girl at that time, haha). So while I'm there end of September, I might as well stay awhile and see what the land of TVB series is all about. Art imitating life?

Some friends who've been there rave about the food, the shopping and the nightlife. But my main agenda is to see some sights, soak in the distinctively Chinese atmosphere and EAT. However, food at 'HK-style' places in KL like Kim Gary and Mong Kok Char Chan Teng have put me off a little. I hope there's much more to HK food than instant Nissin noodles with ham and MSG-laden baked rice.

What I AM looking forward to is the winter melon pastries (lou por peang) from this famous shop in Kowloon (a friend brought some back sometime ago and it was AMAZING!), the por lor pao (pineapple bun, literally) and the famous 'see mutt lai char' (stocking milk tea).

Scary thing is, I hear eating out is expensive (RM25 up for a simple meal). That will seriously interfere with my shopping budget. So I'll spend my 5-6 days fighting a losing battle against temptation at markets and factory outlets.

I've booked quite a good deal on Cathay Pacific (Supercity Package), and I'll be going with ST (that woman is going to negotiate her freelance contract around it too, haha). Interesting bit is, we'll be staying at Metropark Kowloon, where the first SARS case was reported.

Terrorist bombs rarely strike twice at the same place (except for Bali, but the bombs did go off at different locations).

What are the odds for viruses? Hee hee.

Labels: ,

7 wandered by:

Blogger ... said...

Reminder: Bring camera, take gorgeous photos of self and city, have fun, eat authentic yummy HK food and tell us all about it!

:)

-Rin

4:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wat eva u do, 'try chau tau foo'

12:19 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Rin: That I will sure do :D

TJ: Ya hor! Forgot about chau tau foo! Must add that to my list. I also wanna try their deep fried fish balls! Those TVB serials always show them by the roadside wan! Hahaha!

10:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to HK once. Love it! But my cantonese feel very cacat there la... felt like alien. Dont miss the opportunity to go Disneyland! Go to the peak too. Simply breath-taking!

10:37 am  
Blogger Karen said...

another holiday! yay! holidays are goooooood...

have fun!

11:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo.. the food is yummy. Try the mango pudding shop near Mongkok. You can't miss it, the whole shop window is filled with mangoes.. and the roast goose rice and lot's more *yums*

Oh yeah, if you dare to wander on the dingier streets, a bowl of pork chop noodles cost RM12 plus free chinese tea and the trains are the cheapest way to move around. Enjoy :)

11:54 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Dumpling: Thanks for tips, man! It shall be in the To Go list.

Snowie: Thanks babe! I'll get you and Spot some chinese pastries.

Cyn: Ooooh! Mango Pudding! Great stuff! Thanks for the makan leads! Will definitely try the noodles on the streets.

12:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home