"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

She's got a job to do!

Miss Day, my lovely octogenarian neighbour, had another birthday recently. I took her out for dinner last night and she looked not a day over 65.

I wanted to bring her to Las Carretas in Taipan, USJ, a Mexican restaurant. But when we got there, it wasn't there anymore! So we ended up having dinner Kopitiam-style where Las Carretas used to be.

Her vigour and cheerfulness despite her painful old joints were a big contrast to my moody dragging-of-feet. But darn me if her joy wasn't infectious. I simply love this old lady.

After summarising what's been happening in her life and then mine, she grabbed my hand and told me, "That's that. Just let go and let God take care of everything. God loves you."

Somehow, I always knew that at a cerebral level.
But I never really felt it. Not until now.
Through her touch and her dark, black cherry eyes, I felt God was trying to remind me that He's always within reach. If only I would depend on Him a little bit more instead of marching off into the sunset like some macho cowgirl who don't need no one.

We talked about so many things. And she wondered why God had not taken her home. She's tired, and ready. But every day, God would tell her that there is still so much for her to do. And if you knew what this woman gets up to, you wouldn't be surprised.

She lives alone (most days), sleeps only 4 hours a day and spends the rest of her time counselling troubled people from her church, praying for others, potter around the house and running her own errands. She even drives all the way to Tesco in Mutiara Damansara from Subang Jaya to do her grocery shopping.

Did I mention she's 81?

To me, it's obvious why she's still around.
God has given her a job to do - to bless people around her with her love and radiance. To show them that in life, there is joy in adversity. And to help them see that there is something much bigger than themselves.

Here's to Miss Day's good health.
Amen.

Labels: , ,

2 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~`geekchic
Amazing lady. Amen to that, nut.

4:08 pm  
Blogger ... said...

To good health, limitless joy in Him and an outpouring of blessings in her life.

Amen.

9:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home