"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Monday, June 19, 2006

Sunshine discovers how to swim

It was the Dog Olympics Day at Central Park in Bandar Utama,
organised by Puppy.com!

My colleagues and I brought our dogs for a picnic and a few hours of fun, butt-sniffing and tail-wagging style. There were lots of games and events going on, but we were too lazy to take part in any. So we found a nice shaded area to hang out with our dogs and watch other dogs (and their owners) pass us by.

Later that morning, Nic & K's golden retriever Tori jumped into the pond to retrieve a tennis ball. Sunshine looked on longingly, tugging at her leash. After some encouragement from K (to ease MY jitters, not Sunshine's), I let her go and she jumped into the pond for the first time. For a moment, I felt like an over-protective mom.

She seemed to panic for the first few seconds, frantically paddling to keep her head above the water. Then instinct took over and she was swimming like she has been doing it all her life. Jitters turned to pride (ooooh, my little girl can swim!). Yes, yes, funny. And no, it's NOT my maternal instinct talking, okay!

Soon she was splashing about with other labs and golden retrievers and refused to get out of the pond when I called for her. I didn't manage to get any pictures of her in the water though (dumb camera batteries). Wish you could see her happy face.

There was also a reunion with her sister, Happy, which P's aunt adopted. They looked the same but Happy was a little rounder than Sunshine. She's a fidgety one and was afraid of other dogs. P said she probably thought she was human. The two sisters were so cute together. I wonder if they even remember each other.



In the pictures you'll see Sunshine and JL's King Charles Spaniel (DumDum), E's Newfoundland, the huge black bear-on-fours pretending to be a dog (Tiny, what an uncanny name), MY's ShihTzu (Ha Meen, Chinese for prawn noodles) and KS's ShihTzus (Prince, Bobo and Baby).



Wish I took pictures of Nic's golden Tori and beagle, Skeeter. And that pair of beautiful Great Danes. They were wearing TIES! A gentleman's dog indeed.

Apart from the usual sponsors' booths, there were stalls selling doggy apparel and football jerseys. Yes, for dogs. Personally, I found it quite cruel to subject a dog to clothing in this awful heat. But I must say they looked awfully cute in them.

However, I draw the line at HELLO KITTY outfits.
HELLO!! If I had a gun, I'd shoot the owners of those dogs. A cat-branded outfit?! Such indignity for any self-respecting canine.

It was such great fun. And exhausting.
Both Sunshine and I had a nice long nap when we got home.
After a bath of course. The pond was quite filthy.

Happy 8 Months Old, Sunshine!

Labels:

3 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~geekchic
Sunshine's got a new name! Sunnut! or, have YOU got a new name? Nutshine. Hahahahhah.... Eh, your daughter mata sepet la. so cute :) Would love to hug Tiny and bury my face his fur. AS long as he doesn't decide to park his arse on my foot or something,I'll be alright :)

5:05 pm  
Blogger Mint Chutney said...

We just found out this weekend that Chutney loves water. We had the kiddie pool in the backyard and he refused to get out.

She's a beauty la.

12:24 am  
Blogger Lawrence said...

hey..i recognise that b*t*h..LOL

9:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home