"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Busy time ahead!

It's a whirlwind.
KC's wedding is this Saturday. And I'm on MC duty as well as singing acapella with Fancy Poultry.

Then of course, work had to come in at the most timely moment. And now I have a project to think about that's due on Monday. We were briefed 2 days ago and have barely a week to get a campaign out. I already missed one acapella rehearsal last night. Hope I don't eff up on Saturday.

That aside, I managed to get hold of the spare part for my oven. The broken part was a door key, and it was easily replaceable. At only RM8 too! Woohoo! I can't wait to start baking again. But only when I have some time to spare.

I also bought a Nonya cookbook from MPH the other day. I've always been enamoured with all things Peranakan. The culture. The history. And of course, the FOOD. I noticed most of my favourite Malaysian foods are Peranakan dishes. From Assam Laksa to Perut Ikan, my gosh, I think it's about time I learn to cook some of them myself. Especially after Snowie's advice about Baba boys. Hmmm ;)

My dad told me my grandma was pretty good with Nonya cooking too, cos her best friend was Nonya and taught her many of her family's culinary secrets. He is looking forward to my attempts at Nonya cuisine. I think he just misses my grandma.

Did I mention that I had and have at least one wedding to attend EVERY month this whole year?

Some months, there are even two weddings.
There's KC's end of this week. CC's end of September (in Hong Kong). LY's brother's the week after CC's. And SY's the week after LY's brother's (that's TWO in October). Then there's LL's in November. Eeeek. Going broke just attending weddings alone.

Back to work. Pffft!

Labels:

4 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~geekchic
Dun worry, my red nuclear bomb will hit you in half a year, darling. MUAKS.

8:37 pm  
Blogger Spot said...

Ah, that's the one. But remember ah, that one is Penang Nyonya...very different from Melaka Nonya.

Yay to the resurrection of your oven!

5:12 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Geek: Take your time, hun, take your time.

Spot: Yay! Yah, it's Penang one. Got Melaka cookbook to recommend ah? Wonder how far different they can be. I read that the Penang Peranakans have a slight Thai influence in their cuisine.

I also noticed Penang Nonya food is more sour and spicy, while Melaka Nonya is sweeter and 'earthier'. Correct ah?

5:39 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

Penang and Melaka nyonya very different, yes...I hardly recognise the dishes in that book! BUT those I've tried are very good. For Malaccan recipes, apparently, Florence Tan is good (but not tested).

I once had to attend FIVE weddings in one MONTH! luckily, with age, more and more friends are already married, so there are fewer invites as the years pass by :)

6:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home