"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Monday, September 26, 2005

Dusting memories

I was suddenly in the mood to clean-up and clean-out my room. Drawers and cupboards. Shelves and wardrobe. At the end of it, I had 3 big bags of trash.

First, let me say I'm a hoarder.
I keep everything, thinking they'll come in handy one day. But some things I can't bring myself to throw away
because I'm a sentimental sap like that.

Among used plastic bags, paper bags, old toys, souvenirs, empty boxes and recycled gift wraps, I found:

~ A folder with all my 21st birthday cards.

~ A note my childhood friend, YR, wrote. It had all our signatures (a bunch of us girlfriends) when we were 12 years old. She told me to keep it forever.

~ Gifts that were never opened. Like a Garfield soap a buddy gave me 15 years ago. I was once a Garfield fan and couldn't bear to soap it away.

~ Letters and notes my best friend LY wrote while we were in college and university.

~ Letters from a very good friend from school when she went to Australia to further her studies. Detailing her adventures, joys and heartaches.

~ Love notes from ex-boyfriends. They don't mean anything to me now, but I keep them because they once did.

~ A box with train tickets, chocolate wrappers and funny notes written by dormies from my year in Australia.

~ A folder with love letters from some people I couldn't feel the same way for. These I keep cos some are too funny to throw away.

~ A folder of recipes my dad cut out from the newspapers when I was a kid. And an old diary from the 1969 that belonged to him (I salvaged this when he was cleaning out his drawer many years ago).

As I made decisions to throw away certain things, a wave of melancholy hit me hard. Throwing them away meant memories that were once important, were no longer so. At least, not enough for me to keep the memento I had of it. This made me a little sad.

-----------------

My godsister PC is 5 weeks pregnant.
She and C have been married for almost a year now.
They've been trying, ahem, very hard.
I am so thrilled for them.

-----------------

Took my mom and D's granny to see September's Tale - A Tribute To Teresa Teng
by the Dama Orchestra on Thursday night.

It was held at the new KL Performing Arts Centre.
A very quaint place, converted from an old train warehouse.

Teresa Teng was an iconic Chinese (Taiwanese) platinum artiste.
She died 10 years ago from asthma when she was still a household name all over Asia.

The Dama Orchestra (a Chinese instrument orchestra) was in their element, as always. They made beautiful music with a singer who looked and sang uncannily like the late songstress herself.

-----------------

I saw STOMP on Friday night.
I didn't plan to go when it first opened, although I badly wanted to. Tickets were just way too expensive. Then a colleague's friend couldn't make it for a show at the last minute and was willing to part with a ticket at a lower price. So I grabbed it.

The show had amazing energy and stamina.
They went on for almost 2 hours with no break at all.
Some bits were repetitive but it was an interesting performance all the same.

-----------------

I am handing in my resignation soon.
Looking forward to a 2-week break before starting again at a place with familiar faces.

Gonna take a short holiday with LY (if she can get time off).
Spend some time on my music. And be a bum, if only for awhile.

Labels:

3 wandered by:

Blogger Mint Chutney said...

oh. I wish I could be a bum with you.

I was a hoarder but then I realized that I can throw the paper away but I can't throw the memory away. That being said, I still have a lot of shit around including all the letters my long distance ex-boyfriend wrote me.

10:34 am  
Blogger ... said...

Was back in Adelaide for a week. Mum said that Dad has more than 30 boxes of 'stuff' coming in from M'sia. Beat that!

12:51 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Mint: Yes, it's nice to have someone to bum with! LY can't get time off so I'll be spending my break vegetating at home. :(

Rin: 30 boxes! Wah-liao! Is there room in your house or is he gonna bury them all in the garden?

4:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home