"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Monday, August 29, 2005

Tinker Tonker II

At last, I have my first session with Eddy Sambuaga, jazz pianist extraordinaire.

We begin by skimming through common jazz chord progressions and construction. The funny chords I like to play now have names and purpose. And there are many I've never seen or heard before.

Then, we venture into the blues.
Ooh, I love the blues! But keeping in rhythm (especially with the left-hand) is a mean feat.

Yep. All that in lesson one.

Luckily for me, Eddy's really informal.
So it is not too overwhelming.
And boy, can he PLAY a mean piano!

He says if I'm hardworking enough (to practice), I should be able to hold my own after about 3 sessions.

I think he's being really optimistic.

Now back to that part about being "hardworking".
GULP.

Labels:

6 wandered by:

Blogger Mint Chutney said...

I was listening to some of his work and am so impressed that he said you'll be able to hold your own after 3 sessions. It would take at least 5 sessions before he let me turn the pages while he played.

12:22 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Mint: I'm sure he'd be more than thrilled to have a pretty mama turn pages for him, Minty ;) Not that he plays from notes very much though. But arrgh, if I could play even just one song half as well as he, I'd be a happy girl.

9:54 am  
Blogger Karen said...

would you mind telling how much he charges? and does he take absolute beginners in jazz piano?

i can read notes (or at least, i USED to be able to!) and i can play by ear (in C maj only!), but my left hand accompaniments are really really crap. mostly just running chords.

would be nice to learn to play accompanying music properly :)

2:19 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Snowie: He charges RM90 per session (one hour). I'm sure he takes beginners (cos my course header says 'Jazz Beginner Topics').

From what it sounds like, the only thing absolute in your case would be vodka. As long as you're familiar with the piano/keyboard, I think you'll be alright (God bless C Major! Hahaha! The flat and sharp keys scare me too!)

If you're really interested in playing jazz (which is rather different from the stuff I grew up playing), why don't you email him at eddy@sambuaga.com to find out? ;)

Otherwise, there are quite a few other play-by-ear music lessons available in KL/PJ . And they guarantee that you'll know how to play a few songs by the end of their course. Mostly of the pop and top 40s genre. Have fun ya!

2:48 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

thanks for the info :)

it's just sthg for me to think about. i can play by ear easily enough, but i thought it'd be nice to also know how to play just the accopaniment, in different styles.

5:47 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

snowie: cool beans! it'll be fun!
then you can trash them karaoke DVDs and do yer own diana krall / norah jones thing... or kekeke, get Spot to sing while you play! ;)

5:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home