"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Friday, September 01, 2006

Just looking

It was Merdeka afternoon and I was having a late lunch at Marmalade Cafe in Mont Kiara with some friends.

That's when this cute guy walked in. He looked vaguely familiar (yes, yes, how cliche). He wore a cap, glasses, an over-sized white polo-T with black and green stripes, khaki bermudas and brown sandals (I think). He carried a big sling bag with (I assume) a laptop in it.

He's got a warm, friendly boy-next-door face. Tanned. Broad-shouldered. Ooh, nice calves. He looked like the type who played tennis (not that I play tennis, but hey, I like to, er, watch).

He went straight to the counter and spoke to the lady owner and some of the staff. Maybe he's related. Maybe he's dating her daughter. Hmmm. He must be a regular.

I was sipping my latte and checking him out when he looked up and caught me looking. He looked back. Embarassed, I looked away and dug into my pumpkin and pear salad. Not that I was trying to be coy or anything, but hey, I get shy too, alright?

On his way out, I happened to look up and he caught my eye again. Eeesh! I sought refuge in my salad once more and didn't look up till much later. By then he was already outside with a group of friends.

After some time, his friends left and he was inside again. He sat on the 'waiting chairs' meant for people waiting for tables. The cafe wasn't exactly packed. How strange. He fished out his PSP and started playing with it. Maybe the owner's his mom and he's waiting for her. Maybe he's waiting for his girlfriend, the younger lady boss/the owner's daughter/the waitress. Hmmm. He must be waiting for someone.

I asked JH, CO and DL to check out the bloke and they egged me on to say hello. Nah, I'm not that hadap. Really. Eeek.

Maybe I couldn't be bothered. Maybe I was just chicken. Never approached a stranger before, and I wasn't about to, cute 'familiar looking' guy or not.

JH said he glanced at our table and glanced away.
I dug deeper into my banoffee cheesecake.
Really? Sigh.
Hmmm. Maybe he was waiting for OUR table
.
"Whatever." And downed my second cup of coffee.

We called for the bill. Paid. And left.
I was careful not to make eye contact when I walked past the bloke on my way out.

Gosh. I'm a dumb ass.

Labels:

7 wandered by:

Blogger itchyfeet said...

Told u to do something about it!!
Now no marmalade no jam no butter!

only muamalat man!

haiyoh!

6:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~geekchic

Next time, just dazzle him with a smile. :) It'll pique his interest for sure.

11:14 pm  
Blogger Spot said...

Shoulda gone. Test what the power of LASIK enhancement can do!

On a happier note...BANOFEEE!!!! SHRIEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK!

I love. Can you tell? :)

2:17 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Itchy: Haha! What to do? Your friend only good at dishing out advice. Not good at listening to them myself. Hahaha.

Geek: I don't know. Very out of practice la. How lah laidat?

Spot: SHRRIIIEEEEKKKKK! Yes, I can tell. I find their banoffee cheesecake not banananish or toffeeish enough. But they have the BEST (really) apple crumble I've tasted ANYWHERE (including Australia). HUGE dessert portions at very good prices too. I love their salads and sandwiches as well. Overall, a WONDERFUL place to eat.

8:11 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

Mr Marmalade sounds like this guy from my old dance class that i know! tall, boy-next-door look, broad shoulders, sweetest temper ever... not sure about the calves or tennis, but hey, he dances, he must be fit ya?! too bad i dont see him anymore, i could ask if he was in Mont Kiara over Merdeka! ;)

9:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shoulda tried..sounds like quite a catch!

5:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shoulda tried..sounds like quite a catch!

5:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home