"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Subang Jaya 10k Run 2007

I was really tired after my drive up and down Ipoh. And when I went to bed, I started sniffling. I also felt a sore throat and a headache. Great, how to run like that? So when I woke up at 6am this morning, it was just as well that it was raining quite heavily. Curled back under by blanket thinking I'd give this run a miss. But I had trouble going back to sleep and when the rain stopped at 6.30am, what the heck, I got up.

Instead of my usual 'fuel up' breakfast 2 hours before a run, I only had time for a Milo and half a granola bar. I gave my usual bottle of Gatorade a miss. Got there at 7am, just in time to report in and warm up my still-asleep body. My gut told me it's gonna be a painful day. What with the flu, less 'fuel' than I'm used to and fatigue from travelling. So much for my sub-1 hour goal.

The gun went off at 7.30am sharp and I tried to keep up with the front pack. Ambitious ma. Very quickly, I felt my body rebelling. My mind and my legs were willing, but I could feel my heart rate hitting the roof. I slowed down and walked a few metres, and felt a stitch coming. Oh boy. By the 3rd km, I was ready to call it quits and walk back to my car.

But I pressed on, forcing myself to run at a slower pace. There were no water stations, so it was a good thing I brought my water bottle. It was empty very fast though. My nose was running harder than I was, so I must have gotten quite dehydrated. I felt so bloody thirsty.

LS and KC caught up with me. Paced with them for awhile and when I regained momentum, I left them and put on some speed. The last 2kms were gruelling. I felt tired and weak, but I kept some 'race bunnies' in sight and tried to overtake them.

By the time I hit the MPSJ track for the final lap, I gave it all I got. And surprise, surprise! I made in under one hours after all! Ngam ngam hoe!

59:38 at 54th place.

Cut about 5 minutes from my previous time (despite the problems I had today). But I think it had a lot to do with the route. It was relatively flat and straight throughout. The few inclines we encountered were gentle and kind. The cool weather helped too.

For the first time after a race, I felt totally drained. Like there's nothing left in me. While lining up for the 100plus I felt almost faint. Didn't even have energy to stretch. So I just sat on the track for awhile before I left for home.

Moral of the story.
-Fuel up sufficiently.
-Don't be too ambitious in the early part of the race.
-Don't succumb to the voice that says 'give up'
-BYO water/sports drink... not all 10k runs have water stations :P

Now I need to sleep.

Labels:

2 wandered by:

Blogger ... said...

Wahliu, if you're tired and sick, you SHOULD rest. Anyhoo, drink lots of water and get plenty of rest, k?

11:18 pm  
Blogger Urban Smoothie Read said...

ur into local runs too??

i did join a couple of them n i'm a pacesetters member too..

but didn't went for subang jaya 10k this year...coz at the same day there is Bukit Gasing Challenge that offer finisher medal...so i went for that one instead....heheh

5:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home