"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Adrenaline crash (again)

It's been over a week since my half marathon and I've been a lazy arse. The lazier I got, the more lethargic I became. And it's a vicious cycle. Bleh. This happens to me every time there's a build up to something. The anticipation keeps me going right until after the big event and after that, kaboom. Crash. Boom. Bang.

Went to the gym on Saturday. Managed a decent 4.5km run in half an hour. Then I took Sunshine on a run-walk expedition up and down the hills of Damansara Heights on Sunday, with LS and her puppy Yuki. My feet suffered for it. They hurt more now than they did after the half marathon. Strange.

I wonder if it's the hills or the struggle I had with Sunshine for the first half of the run-walk. She was so excited, she dragged me everywhere. Even the sternest "Heel!" and "Sunshine, NO!" didn't stem her delirium. I tugged at her leash to no avail. She was a 25kg speedboat dragging me like a water skier. Now imagine that going downhill. She finally got buggered out after an uphill slope or two, and trotted next to me at my pace. Crazy dog. Yuki was so well-behaved in comparison.

Now I'm feeling buggered. I'm also actively searching for a road bike. Reading up about them. Visiting the forums. Learning all the bike jargon. I saw my bike budget go up from RM1k to RM2k. Now I'm contemplating, okay, maybe I just might be willing to invest RM3k in a decent bike. At least one I won't have major problems selling off in the future if I decide to stop this tri-wannabe nonsense... or if I become an enthusiast, and decide to upgrade my bike. Heh.

Looking at a 2nd hand complete bike tomorrow (Specilized Allez with Shimano 105 group set selling for RM2.5k). Also looking at buying one of LS's bike frames (a Schwinn, cos her Scott is too big for me) and buying the parts (should cost me about RM2k or so all in). Saw a new red and white Merida 904 with Shimano 105 group set (pictured left) today at KSH in Taman Tun. Looked good, but it's almost RM3k, and bikers I know are not fans of Merida. For my 'entry-level' budget, my choices are really rather limited.

Took a spin around Addaudio the other day on RK's Orbea Orca. His bike is my size and it felt pretty good. Though I felt rather nervous on a road bike as I haven't sat on mountain bike, much less a road bike, since high school. It was fun once I got the hang of it, zipping through the wind. It was a really sweet bike. Heh, at RM15k, it should be. Don't think I could ever spend that kinda money on a bike though. Even LS's current bike is above RM10k. But she's hard core. Sca-ry.

So arrrghh... quite a headache. I don't want to make a wrong investment. I want to take my time to decide. But I should get the bike soon if I want to start riding and hopefully be fit in time for a sprint duathlon in Lumut (November). Riding on the road is really different from RPM classes.

I can't wait.

Labels: ,

4 wandered by:

Blogger farked said...

woman! u must learn! sunshine is trying to teach you.

YOU do NOT walk the dog. the dog walks YOU.

YOU are the pet. SHE is the master.

8:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Aspirations to be a tri-athlete. Gosh..even being a wannabe-athlete is tough enough. Good on ya girl!


D

4:16 pm  
Blogger lyn said...

25kg...isn't that half your weight? No wonder you "pengsan"..maybe you should get your guy the 90kg one to walk her ha ha ha. What's with the encouragement he's been giving you? He should be out there huffing and puffing away.

5:41 pm  
Blogger Natasha Fernz said...

Hello hello...

Your walking with Sunshine sounds exactly like my past experience with Cleo!!! She used to walk me when she was younger...

but she's an angel now...I think working with her using the Halti was what did it. Maybe you ought to try it. It really works and it doesn't hurt...

I am proud to say that cleo and I now walk together really nicely...:O)

11:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home