"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Sunday, August 12, 2007

PJ Half Marathon 2007

I did it!
And I did it in 2:38, under my target time of 2:45.
Feeling good as I'm typing this while icing my ankles and feet in a pail of water and ice cubes. Haha!

I woke up at 4.15am, had a pre-race breakfast of soft boiled eggs, a granola bar and Milo. Packed my 3-bottle Nike Hydration Pack - filled two of the small bottles with Gatorade, and one with plain water (to be taken with my Powergel). Took a warm shower to wake my body up and finally left my house at about 5am. Found YL at the stadium and we sat at the curb, observing other people doing their 'warm up' laps around the stadium. Round after round after round. Gosh. Nuts.

Guzzled my bottle of Gatorade slowly until flag off time at 6.30am. I was quite happy to start at the back of the pack, and went slow and steady. I didn't stop to walk except for that one crazy steep slope from Federal Highway to the Old Airport Road.

By around the 10th km near Hyatt Saujana, I ate my Powergel. Tangerine flavour (2x Caffeine!). It is said to be the nicest flavour of the lot, but... bleaarggh. A weird, sweet and salty paste with an artificial fruity flavour. I imagine it'd be more palatable if it was peanut butter flavoured. But that's just me. And oh, the texture. It's almost like cow gum. Not that I've tasted cow gum. But you know what I mean!

I must say the run was quite well-organised, with drink stations every 4km, and sponging stations in between. But I'm so glad I bought my hydration pack. The little sips of Gatorade in between stations really helped. And of course, I had to wash down the pasty bleaarggh-tasting Powergel with some water.

I was still feeling good when we made the U-turn at Terminal 2 Airport (13th km). It was only from the 17th - 18th km onwards that I felt my knees and ankles go wobbly. It felt so good to finally reach the stadium again and make the final lap around the track. I didn't qualify for a certificate (only for those who complete under 2:15), but I'm happy. I finished faster than my target time with an average speed of 7.5 mins per km. Not bad for a virgin half marathon lah!

YL did pretty good too in her 10km category. But we'll wait for her to tell her story :)

Now to rest my weary legs and catch up on some sleep.

*All photos taken by JL of Pacesetters


Labels: ,

7 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

yay! congratulations! =) now on to a full marathon, right? =)

I can't wait for YL's story too. Did bessy go along? =P

2:36 pm  
Blogger ... said...

congrats! congrats! :D

11:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always knew you could do it!Congratulations! Next BKT meal on me.

D

10:12 am  
Blogger Yue-li said...

it was well organised... except they left out the plan to rehydrate the 10km runners huh!

10:18 am  
Blogger lyn said...

Wow....I am impressed.

2:03 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Geek: If only Bessy did! She prolly outrun us. Full marathon? Er, can't get over the mental barrier. Can't imagine myself training for one. Can daiii... Hehe.

Yules: So kesian lerr. Nasib you got your botol!

The Hsiehs: TQ TQ TQ

4:09 pm  
Blogger adriene said...

congratulations :)

4:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home