"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Vroom vroom...

Probably only the French assign gender to inanimate objects, but I can't help referring to my car as a 'him'. He bathes once a week. He's full of gas. And he doesn't take dents very well.

My first car was a golden brown Proton Wira 1.3 Aeroback. Every other Malaysian drove this car, if not another car from Proton. But made in Malaysia cars were all I could afford in 2002, and it served its purpose pretty well.

So I named him Mr.Brown. It was an unassuming, common, blend-into-the-highway type of name. Like Smith. Or Lee. Or Chan. Or Tan. Or Wong. But none of those would describe the car as nicely.

Everyone else felt my car was more gold than brown. But calling it Mr.Gold simply didn't feel right. Mr.Gold sounded like a moustachio-ed body builder who owned a gym. Wait, there IS gym called Gold's Gym somewhere in town, isn't there?

Anyway, Mr.Brown died an untimely death end 2004 when I fell asleep on the wheel and crashed it into a curb (the car was written off, but I was thankfully unscathed). Poor Mr.Brown. I killed you.

After I pulled myself together and started driving again, I bought a Hyundai Accent. It's actually a very tough rally car disguised as a sedan. After the accident, a tough car was what I wanted (not that I had intentions to crash this one too).

Anyway, the car is a blackish shade of blue. Or a blueish shade of black. Kinda like a bruise. Ladies and gentleman, Mr.Bruise. Tom Bruise.

It's been a year and a half since.
And I'm pleased to say he's still alive and running.

My brother sold off the family's 20 year old white Proton Saga recently to help finance his new car. No, it's not called Mr.White, but The Old Jalopy. I didn't get into this whole 'naming' thing till much later in its life, you see.

So, the dear TOJ was gone and bro started driving a light gold Perodua Myvi. It's unmistakingly gold. Because he's a guy, the car's automatically female in my twisted mind. Heh. So I named it Goldirocks. But don't tell my brother. He won't find it amusing.

LY a.k.a Itchyfeet also got her Perodua Myvi recently. A black one. It too, was given a name by yours truly.

ITCHYBAN.
Cool what! Itchyban on the autobahn... not that we have an autobahn here anyway. But now that she drives to Sepang for work every day, she can pretend, can't she?

Labels: , ,

4 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~~geekchic
Drives to Sepang? She works as a race course driver???? I think my housemate would want to marry her! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH =)

4:43 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

Spot's gotten me into the practice of naming cars too. Since my car at that time had no name he (yes, it was a he), was "NoName". Spot's was Olive.

Now hers is Xena (and it IS a tough little thing), and mine is Bianca, by virtue of her slutty black leather seats :)

4:13 pm  
Blogger Spot said...

But I've always wanted a zippy little blond car to name Buffy.

Awesome.

2:41 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Geek: Well, one thing for sure, she's a much better a driver than I am!

Snowie: Ooooh... Slutty black leather seats. I LIKE...

Spot: A blonde car... hmmm, I think the closest to blonde I've seen would be this pale yellow new VW Beetle (ya, the overpriced one). It's cute! Don't know about zippy ;)

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home