"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Monday, April 17, 2006

School Meme

Until I get organised to post about my Rawa Island holiday, here's abit about my schooling days as a post-filler. Tag courtesy of Geekchic. Kena again! :)


How many schools did you go to?

1. Ladybird Kindergarten
I couldn't wait to go to school. Being stuck at home with an OCD mom was no fun. I mean, she wouldn't even let me out to play with the neighbourhood kids at the park. House visits were okay, but then only if she's been there before to give her nod of 'cleanliness' approval. The girl who lived two doors away from me, Rina Sapuidin, went with me in the school bus. She moved away a year or two later. Rina, if you ever read this, say hi okay? Or drop by! I still live in the same house!

Some friends I remember: J, who cried in his mummy's arms in the school bus for the first few days. He went on to be my classmate for the next 11 years. SO, PCH, WL, JK (she was always a tomboy and a good friend) and TKJ (the boy every girl wanted to kiss, but he was my buddy and lent me his Luna 24-colour pencils when mine came in only 12).

2. SRK Subang Jaya
I made some lasting friendships in primary school.
Like LS (who got married recently). And there were some other friends like KM and YR. KM used to bully me abit. And YR was jealous of my friendship with LS. It was quite funny and childish. But we WERE children after all.

I remember RY and MC (a pretty Irish/Chinese girl) too, and they were sort of 'couple'. Yes, at a tender age of 7. Now they are both married with children, but not to each other.

3. SM Subang Jaya
High school was quite a tough time, and I struggled to develop my own identity. I cherish the friendships I made here dearly. Like CN, my saviour - I copied her homework and lab reports. She was also the good voice in my ear, especially when I fell asleep in class (and I sat in front of the blackboard). And then there were my girlfriends. ST (she lived near my house and we'd walk back together), SY, SK, AC, CC and MT (who left for Penang after PMR). We'd shared and gone through so much together.

It was here that I discovered the love for singing and performing at school functions, as well as conducting the school choir at the state championships. I also remember the inter-class choral speaking competitions we used to have. It was such fun.


Was I the studious nerd, or the last minute hero?

I was quite the last minute hero.

Not much of a study 'hard' person. I was just lucky that my results turned out decent despite semesters of question spotting and doing past year papers. Despite being in the top half percentile of the class, I was the black sheep of 5 Sc 1. The slacker of a prefect who forgets to wear her badge to school among other important things, like homework. So it's no wonder I'm probably the only NON-engineer/accountant/architect/doctor/lawyer/scientist/business-up-and-coming-big-person (apart from one other black sheep classmate who also became a copywriter).


Was I the class ‘taiko’ (big bully) or the teacher’s pet?

I was quite a tyrant in primary school.
MC used to wear pigtails. And I just HAD to pull them.

In high school, I was sort of my English teacher's pet.
Despite sleeping through some of her classes.


What was the biggest rule I broke in school?

I was a law-abiding student.
Mainly because I was a law-enforcing prefect.
But I often left a class way too early with this excuse - "Got duty, teacher."


Three subjects I enjoyed:

1. English. No need to say lah.

2. Maths. I loved it. Modern Math was a breeze, but I struggled with Add Math. In the end, it wasn't too bad lah.

3. Chemistry. I loved creating mineral salts and crystals. As well as nicking lab items to make my own magnesium bombs. CN was my lab partner and kept a watchful eye over my arsonist behaviour. Me and fire. BAD combination.


Three teachers that inspired me

Puan Kor. My physics teacher in Form 4 and 5. The most hardworking and kind teacher you'll ever meet. I was so glad when she got a scholarship to pursue her PhD in Leeds University. She deserved it and more.

Puan Fang. My English teacher from Form 3 to Form 5. She knows me well. And amazingly tolerant of my delinquent behaviour.

Puan Sri Toh Puan Rohani. She was the most well-loved principal of all. Mainly because you could tell she sincerely cared for all her students. And she was wise without being bossy or a nag. When she had to leave because of breast cancer, we were all so heart broken. But we recently saw her in December at the school reunion, and she's fine and well. What a blessed soul.


That's it.

Not gonna tag anyone this time. But if you need a post-filler, this is quite a nice one to do. Makes you melancholic too.

Labels:

2 wandered by:

Blogger Karen said...

hooray, you're back!!! welcome back, faster faster catch up on your posts and tell us about your hols! :)

and you're still living in the same house as when you were in kindy? WOW. i'm so jealous! i've moved 6 times in my hometown, 7 times whilst studying (ok lah these don't really count since they're not 'home'), and 5 times in KL since working...

5:47 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

snowie: yeah! lived in the same house all my life! :) it's comforting but... but the boring type of comfort. hahaha. i've already posted! go see go see...
more photos on my flickr.

10:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home