"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

'Jobs I've had' Meme

Saw this on a blog I've been stalking and thought it'd be quite fun.

1. Children's art teacher
I helped my piano teacher do up some posters at the music school I was in. Then, they strangely hired me to teach their children's art class. I snapped up the job cos I could use the extra pocket money, though it was really a paltry sum (now on hindsight, they were SO exploiting me). I was 14. It wasn't even legal (they thought I was 16). But I had fun, and so did the kids.

2. Gelati shop waitress/ice cream girl
I fixed the sundaes. I served them. And I got to eat some at break times. How sweet was that! :)

3. Sales girl at a leather goods store
Once upon a time, I could be quite the persistent salesperson. Not anymore.

4. Expo bimbo
No, I wasn't a hot babe in shorts at a car show. But I was dressed up as Snow White (the dress smelled of dried sweat, yuck) at a PC Fair. LY was Red Riding Hood. Kodak was launching their first digital camera and they had a tie-up with Disney. So people took pictures with 'Snow White' and 'Red' with the demo cameras, and got them printed on the spot. The kids and families were nice. The slimy men were disgusting.

5. Data entry clerk
Possibly the most boringest job in the world.

6. SPG (Smiling People Greeter, NOT Sarong Party Girl) at TGI Fridays
This was really fun. It was almost like waitressing, minus the mess. My job was to show people to their tables and make sure the guests were evenly distributed to different sections (where a different waitress/waiter was in charge). We also recommended dishes and specials. On good nights, the manager gave us vouchers to redeem for TGIF meals. Yummm...

7. Waitress at the Mt. Panorama GT Car Races in Bathurst, Australia
The car race was the biggest annual event at my provincial university town. I got a job at the VIP booth, right above the pit-stop, with some really great views. I was not a car enthusiast, so it didn't turn me on. But the food... OHH. All sorts of cheeses. Gourmet finger sandwiches. Cookies. Roast meats. Wine. Strangely, all the VIPs were hardly around. I guess they wanted to be where the action was, near the track. So me and the other waitress would help ourselves, VERY discreetly, to the grub.

8. Waitress at an Australian chinese restaurant
I loved working here on the weekends when I was studying in Bathurst. Mainly because the bosses would feed me well. And this husband and wife team would ask me to play mah-jong with them after we close up at night. They were a lovely couple, and probably spent most of their profits at the pokie machines. I really miss them.

9. Dental assistant
My friend SY's dad is a dentist. One holiday I helped out at the clinic. I held the suction tube. Prepared the tooth filling. Made appointments. Filed the patient cards. Comforted nervous patients (I remember a lady who had a huge molar taken out, and she freaked from all the blood). It was very interesting... and now I know exactly how a root canal is done. Not a pretty sight at all.

10. Part-time lecturer
It was at a small college and I enjoyed teaching my first semester. The following semester, I got a bunch of international students from China. They spoke little English, while my Mandarin was limited to basic survival (and stuff I can't print here). They were there to gain credits for a bridging programme, so they weren't very interested in my class anyway. It was quite a struggle. Never again.

11. Part-time session pianist
I played at the Regent Hotel lounge and at the Parkroyal Grill. Perks of the job - I got to tinker the ivories on a baby grand piano, a luxury I didn't have at home. I also got to meet some pretty interesting people, some I still keep in contact with today. Another perk - complimentary dinners (buffet, yuh-mee) at their coffeehouse. On top of that, I became chummy with the chefs at the grill. And was their happy little guinea pig when they were experimenting with new dishes. Every time I popped into the hot kitchen to watch them cook at break time, they'd ask me, "Hungry ah, girl?" Even if I wasn't, they'd cook me a steak... a PRIME RIB, for goodness sake. Over 3 years, they shared many recipes, cooking tips and lots of laughter. They even invited me to an industry culinary dinner and convention. Oh, that was just simply amazing. All of KL's best chef's in one place, cooking, eating, sharing. And me, the non-chef (or chef wanna-be), ate, and wished I was a cow with four stomachs.


And you're tagged:
Geekchic
Mint
Box.

Labels:

3 wandered by:

Blogger Spot said...

Wow, that's quite a repertoire.

Half your jobs involved being around food. Too bad you really don't have four stomachs. :)

10:41 am  
Blogger Mint Chutney said...

Did the slimy men want their pictures taken with Snow White? ICK.

I only had a few jobs but will post cos you asked me to. : )

3:05 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Itchy: You can say that again, Red Riding Hood!

Spot: Yalor! Had to make do with the stainless steel spoon in my mouth, so had to make it worth something :) And yar, the free grub was good. ALL of it! :) I could say I ate better than alot of people for quite awhile :)

Mint: Yeah, they did! And they had their tentacles around Snow White and Red. So gross! Will wait for your post, babes :)

6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home