"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Sunday, April 09, 2006

My childhood buddy gets hitched

We've known each other since we were seven, and grew into our awkward teens together. Even though she went to a different high school after primary school, we still hung out during the weekends, and I got to know her friends as well.

Some random memories (not quite in chronological order):

- We were 8. Gem and the Holograms were really in. And we would role play as characters in that cartoon. Outrageous! Truly truly truly outrageous!

- When we weren't role-playing, we played getah, kinda like skipping rope, but made from rubber bands.

- We played the piano and sang together in her house. Alot.

- Picnics at the padang (field) near her house, with Benji, her cocker spaniel.

- Sleepovers, and we would talk about boys, our crushes, dreams and hopes.

- We had a crush on the same boy once, KTC. What were we thinking! He wasn't interested in either of us anyway. That was so funny.

- Our swimming classes when we were 12. The swim instructor was this really hot guy who wore white trunks that left nothing to our pre-pubescent imagination.

- We started dating at about the same time, so we double dated quite often.

- Cookouts with her mom.

- A holiday to Penang where she plucked my eyebrows for the first time.

- I learnt how to smoke from her and her friends. Never enjoyed cigarettes very much. Don't enjoy it now. Thank God.

- That lime citrus cake she made me for my 16th birthday. It was sweet and sour and so yummy.

After high school, she left for Sydney to further her studies. I only saw her once a year whenever she came back for the holidays. And we would always pick up where we left off. Although we did kinda drift apart over the years, she would always have a special place in my heart.

-----



Last night was her beautiful wedding at the Saujana, where I was also Master of Ceremony. The wedding was kept simple, fun and meaningful.

It was surreal to be at the wedding of someone you've known for over 20 years. Her family was like family to me (in fact, I think I learnt most of my table manners from her mom, hehe). Before the night was over, her mom said she thought of me as her second daughter. And made me promise not to disappear from her life.

I guess I was guilty of visiting only when LS was home from Sydney. I shall make it a point to change that.

Congratulations babe.
Here's wishing you 'bak tao dou lou' (white hair till old) with SN, who's a wonderful guy, by the way. And a great start to a new life together.

Labels:

0 wandered by:

Post a Comment

<< Home