"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Rawa Island

Rawa has to be the most beautiful island I've ever been to in Malaysia.



Lovely sunsets.



Clear blue water and fine powdery sand.



Corals just a few feet from the beach.



A jetty you can jump off from.



Nemo and other pretty fish say hello.



There was really nothing to do but to snorkel,



... fish (with rotting squid as bait),



... sun worship (unlike this girl, we kept our clothes on),



... explore the lonely jetty on the otherside,



... read,


... eat,


... and sleep.



It was good.



Some highlights:

- Jumping off the jetty into the sea at low tide.

It was a good 10-15ft drop.
It took me helluva long time to jump cos I was scared shit! D had a good laugh at how chicken I was. I'm not afraid of heights, b-b-but...

What if the fish saw me as a huge piece of bait...

Or or or... what if I fell the wrong way and knocked my head against the side of the jetty and drowned...

Or or or what if there were sharks / sea monsters / piranhas (yes D, I KNOW they don't live in these parts!)...

Or or or (fill in the blanks with the worse imaginable).

But I was glad I did it. Not only because my pride was at stake - a 10 year-old Danish boy simply ran and catapulted himself off the edge while I was making excuses not to (what if my bikini top came off!!). So heck, if the little boy could do it, I should be able too! And if my over 80kg boyfriend could jump in without sinking to the bottom, hey, I probably wouldn't either. Hee hee.

Here's my splash.



And here's D after his jump, climbing back up the jetty. Note the school of fish swimming in the water below.




- Fishing galore.
I haven't had so much fun fishing.
The tug at the rod. The fight. The reeling in.
Although we released every fish we caught, I felt really guilty for subjecting them to the hook in the name of sport. Sigh.

This fella looks a lot bigger than its actual size.



This box fish (or a puffer fish?) was caught by the same 10 year-old boy at the jetty jump.



- Biawak under our chalet.
We left our stinking squid outside our chalet for fishing the next day. Only to find a biawak, no, a HUGE biawak making it its lunch while we were out having ours. Did I say it was HUGE?



If you wanna try Rawa for your next holiday, just click on its website. It is slightly pricier than Redang and Perhentian, but I would say it was quite worth it. And almost worth the 6-hour ass-numbing bus ride from KL to Mersing.

:)

Labels: ,

5 wandered by:

Blogger ... said...

Wah, cantik.

Glad you guys had fun!

Welcome back...:)

7:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm...gorgeous..*dreams of a beach holiday*

10:31 am  
Blogger Spot said...

heehee...the shadow of the school of fish under D looks like a shark! Eek.

The second pic, the sunset one, v nice.

4:03 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Rin: The island VERY cantik! Next time you and Ed must go!

Cyn: Go! Go! Go! Heard Redang Lang Tengah is having a RM388 3D/2N package all inclusive (coach, boat transfer, food, snorkelling)

Spot: No sharks in that water, but some of the pretty coral fishes are mighty fierce... they bite! They hurt like someone's pinching you! Yeowch!

4:17 pm  
Blogger Mint Chutney said...

The water is so clear. It looks so beautiful.

Glad you had a good time!

9:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home