"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Year of Woof!

Chinese New Year 2006

I was on holiday since 2nd half of Thursday, 26th Jan. Plans to get some exercise went down the drain as I spent most of my time playing with Sunshine.

She has grown so much and is such a clever girl, it's hard not to fall in love with her. Even my mom, who wasn't too happy about getting a dog, has grown to love the mutt. And because mom's at home all the time (she feeds her too), I think Sunshine loves her more than me. More obedient to my mom too. Hmmph.

Took Sunshine for her last vaccination on Friday and as usual, she didn't even flinch. Very soon I can take her out for walks around the neighbourhood. And maybe even take her to obedience school. Here's Sunshine, now 10.2kg at 3.5 months old.



Sunshine was at my aunt's place on the 1st day of Chinese New Year, tearing around her bungalow's garden and terrorising another aunt's dogs. Both smaller than her (a spaniel-maltese mix and a chihuahua). After awhile, the two older dogs ignored the playful pup. So after barking her discontent, she hung out with the humans and totally sucked up to my uncle, who once had a lab just like her, named Whisky.

Chinese New Year eve, the night before, was quite uneventful. My family sat down to our annual 'reunion dinner' and D, not being a lone ranger this year, spent time with his granny and sister at home. He missed out on Chinese Pear & Jellyfish Yee Sang, Roast Duck (from Sunrise), Curry Chicken, Stir Fried Prawns, Braised Mushrooms and Vegetables, sparkling juice (for my non-alcoholic brother) and a very good bottle of 1997 Penfolds Kalimna Shiraz.



The wine was almost 10 years old. And even with the most care taken while opening it, the cork was too dry. It ended up breaking and falling into the bottle. Crap. It was good wine though. Really good, especially with the roast duck.



Of course, Chinese New Year is never complete without Chinese variety programmes on television - Hong Kong celebrities dressed in garish colours doing slapstick comedy and singing festive songs. Complete with loud lion dances and the I-can-only-take-it-once-a-year type of entertainment.



And my mother, being the typical Chinese, had to buy some lottery tickets, now sitting among our scant festive decoration. The odds are, well... 1 to XX,XXX,XXX. Results next week. Anyone got a good feeling? (ha-ha)



Not in the picture: 4-D tickets she bought the following day. It's a lottery based on 4 weekly-drawn numbers (you buy the numbers you think would appear that week). Mom bought the 4 digits from the receipt number for our lunch that afternoon. She gave an angpow to a prancing lion from a lion dance troupe there. And was quite convinced it'd bring her luck.

I'll let you know if I ever strike she ever strikes it rich.

Meanwhile, Happy Chinese New Year (or what's left of it) to every one.
Eat lots. And make lots of money.
Not from me though. I just lost more than RM40 playing black jack at friends' open houses. RM40 could've bought me my mom alot of lottery tickets.

Labels: ,

6 wandered by:

Blogger Karen said...

happy woof year!! that sunshine of yours is one cute doggie :)

oh, and good luck with your (oops - your mum's) lottery ticket!

10:54 pm  
Blogger Rat said...

What abt the laisee packets ?

1:52 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Snowie: Thanks! Crossing fingers and toes (and eyes)

Rat: Lai-see or red packets. Not a good collection this year...Not enuff for me to retire on. Heck, not even enough for a fancy dinner for 4. Sigh ;)

3:48 pm  
Blogger Mint Chutney said...

Sunshine is SO cute!!

Dinner looks so good.

Just think about the angpow you'll get when mom wins the lottery! First stop, Chicago. : )

9:55 am  
Blogger The Box said...

a) That dog is a comPLETEly different size everytime I see him.
b) Babe, the way you cook and narrate, I have NO idea why you didn't win any of those auditions at Discovery. Seriously. (hugs)

9:30 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Mint: Sunshine is the cutest dog in the world (in my eyes)! And yes, dinner was good. And OH YES, Chicago is a MUST-STOP if I win the lottery. *sighs dreamily*

Box: a) SHE. Sunshine's muh bitch b) Sigh. I guess I don't sound/look show-hosty enuff. But it's okay. I'll just do this for fun on my blog :) At least I know SOME people enjoy it.

4:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home