"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Tinker tonker.

I've stopped playing the piano at hotels for 2 years now.
While I still play at ad hoc functions, too little time spent on the instrument has left my fingers stiff, my ears unresponsive and my instincts, flat.

Not that I have much technique to begin with.
I'm classically trained, but not the most diligent of students. I preferred the fun stuff like showtunes and jazz.

For years, I bluffed my way through songs.
And depended on my ear and gut to sound like I know what I'm doing (at least I hope I did).

While I can forget about enrolling in music college (too old, too late, too expensive), I've decided to take my music a little more seriously.

I'm starting lessons in 2 weeks with Eddy Sambuaga, a well-respected jazz pianist in KL and San Francisco.

Can't wait!

Labels:

6 wandered by:

Blogger Mint Chutney said...

My husband has a wonderful ear for music. He's been trying to teach me the piano opening of Clocks by Coldplay.

Which show tunes do you know?

9:57 pm  
Blogger The Box said...

Babe, you're one of my best friends, so it hurts to do this.

But you are a consummate liar.

"my fingers stiff, my ears unresponsive and my instincts, flat."
I quite frankly have met few people with such an unfair genetic advantage in the ivory-tinling stakes.

"not the most diligent of students"
Puh-lease. I can't remember how many times I've called you for coffee only to have the whole 'I have classes routine' thrown at me.


"I bluffed my way through songs."
You are bluffing right NOW.


Please tell the truth.
Don't make me have to tell everyone about your bad ass tap-dancing.

11:16 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Mint: Your husband sounds like a gem. And I love Coldplay! Those guys are amazing! Showtunes I like - mostly the old stuff from the F.Sinatra- F.Astaire- G.Kelly- Nat King Cole era, Broadway, piano-friendly songs from movies like My Best Friend's Wedding :)

Box: You're biased, bud. That's why you're such a great friend. Hehe. There are many better musicians out there. REAL musicians who can call themselves so without feeling totally inadequate (sigh).

10:22 am  
Blogger Julian said...

Oh please, don't let age stop you from tinkering those ivories! You're doing great!

I wanna hear you play!!!!!

3:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya! i wanna hear u play n sing at d same time, juz like d good old days!

10:44 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Julian: Thanks for your encouragement :)

Christine: One day lah! :) It's been so long, it's not easy to get back into it again leh.

3:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home