"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Monday, March 03, 2008

Big changes ahead

It started out as a phone call from a headhunter, CY, who's a friend of AW in Shanghai. I wasn't really thinking about working abroad at that time. Not in China anyway. I was more keen on Hong Kong - I could at least speak the language.

A potential offer from HK did come my way, and after a few days of agonising if I should take it up, I decided yes, I should do this while I'm still young, if only for the experience. It's my small window of opportunity before fear or commitments come my way, the kind that increases exponentially with age. Right now, I'm neither too junior to earn pittance, nor too senior to be unaffordable. And while I'm happy where I am, a decent job with lovely colleagues and a great boss, I'm too comfortable. It's now or never.

But of course, I could only go with a clear conscience if D and LY, my two favourite people, were okay with my temporary abandonment. It was difficult at first. But they both love me enough to know how important it is to me. They tried to understand my constant need to 'escape' from here, if only for awhile. Because of this, I love them even more. Especially D. If this whole going away thing didn't come about, I probably wouldn't realise how much shit he was willing to take to make me happy. Being supportive and unconditional with his love were the best things he could ever do for me. So we compromised - 2 years, at most.

However, the HK offer didn't follow through and it went to a good friend instead. I was really disappointed, but happy for her. Then I thought, if I've made up my mind to go somewhere anyway, why not open my mind to Shanghai. CY has been calling about a potential offer for quite some time, though I never really gave it a lot of thought. So when she called again to ask if I'd be interested to talk to the CD in Shanghai, I did.

I've never been to Shanghai, but it sounded pretty interesting. The work would be on a much bigger scale for an international soft drink brand. I'm Chinese illiterate and probably speak just enough Mandarin for daily survival, so I don't really understand in what manner I could contribute as an English writer in this part of the world. But the prospect of being in a new city, in a new agency and in a new culture all by myself excites me to death.

And now that the offer has been confirmed, it scares me half to death.

After much agonising, I bit the bullet and handed in my resignation today. My boss was really sweet about it. Supportive even, despite his pained expression. He had been a good boss and friend, and I felt as if I let him down. But he was cool. And I'm glad I got that over and done with.

If all goes well, I should be there by mid June. They want me in earlier, but with so many writers leaving the agency right now, my boss will have a hard time finding replacements. So 3 months notice it shall be.

This of course throws a spanner in my triathlon plan for this year, though I would be able to do the first one in May. But I plan to train as much as I can when I'm there. As much as time and work permits anyway. Hahaha. Maybe join a tri-club if I can find one. Then maybe the 70.3 Half Ironman China in Haikou, 2009. Talk about being over ambitious! :P

Right now, I'm brimming with excitement. A whole mix of emotions. Happy that I can finally 'run away'. Sad that I'm leaving loved ones behind. And SUNSHINE! I'll miss Sunshine soooooo much! But she's in good hands with my folks, who now spoil her rotten. And also her newly appointed 'dogma', as opposed to godma, SM (she's an atheist, you see).

Yep, it'll be an exciting year ahead.
I have no clue what the future will bring, apart from some really good xiao long baos and la mian.

As scary as it seems right now, I think I'll enjoy the ride.
I would tell you all about it as I go along, but not here on Blogspot. The Chinese government has a weird Internet censorship policy, which includes banning and censoring websites such as BBC, Blogger and even some parts of Google and Wikipedia! I really should get my own domain before I go.

And, dammit. I haven't done my own laundry since university.
*uhuk*

Labels: , ,

4 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nut,

this is wonderful news! what a wonderful opportunity! congratulations! :)

i can imagine you exploring all the chinese cafes, hawker stalls, restaurants and dim sum shops with glee!

adriene

2:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...We got to do what we got to do. As long as you HIS approval, just spread your wings & soar high. All the best !! Bringing you bike there as well ;) hihihih

10:16 pm  
Blogger Spot said...

Oh no, I forgot about the banning of blogspot in China. Uhuks. Thought we could follow your adventures here.

Don't worry about D...we'll take care of him with our monthly RM1 loan. :D

Congratulations, dear Nut. It's gonna be one heckuva adventure!

2:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

absolutely wonderful news!
what a coincidence, i just came back from a farewell party for a colleague who's moving to beijing....
good luck and happy adventures :)

11:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home