"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Sunday, May 20, 2007

New Balance 15km Pacesetters Run 2007

I was preparing myself to fail terribly.
You see, weeks leading up to this, I hadn't been running regularly. Even if I did get to the gym, it'd be 25-30 minutes on the treadmill (40 minutes max) and that was it. Was feeling tired all the time, and energy levels were blehh!

Then I got busy at work, working late and weekends at one point, so that's zero run time. And after the busy stretch at work, I went to Bangkok for a holiday. I walked alot there, but walking doesn't really count, does it?

After I got back, I was feeling kinda sick, so my endeavours to hit the gym gave way to procrastination, and I only had my first decent run on Friday morning, followed by another yesterday afternoon.

But this morning, I was feeling pretty good. Must be the adrenaline. Woke up at 5.15am. Put on my vest. Pinned on my bib. And drove to Padang Merbok, half awake. Yay!

We started off at 7am sharp and the route was quite a killer. Lots of hills, big and small. Saved energy by walking up the hills and then sprinting downhill by letting gravity and momentum carry me. The flat stretches, I ran my normal pace. I was quite okay doing this for the first 10km, then my left foot started to hurt and throb. It was actually feeling tingly since my run yesterday so I guess the long distance impact made it even worse.

Last 3km was a walk run, walk run. And the final 1km, with Padang Merbok in sight, I ran with whatever I had left.

Surprisingly, my knees and ankles didn't give me problems this time. Cardio and breathing was quite alright. It was my dang left foot. The little bone below my left pinky toe to be more precise. It's still throbbing. I should go ice it soon.

My target was to finish in 2 hours.
I crossed the finish line in about 1:54 or 1:55.
Won't know for sure till the official results are posted on the Pacesetters website.

I seem to be finishing about 10 minutes slower compared to my race times in 2004 (when I last ran in races). Anyhow, I'm happy. This is just the second run of the year, with more to come. Woooo hooo!

Labels:

5 wandered by:

Blogger Yue-li said...

Good for you! :D

With all the working late nights/wee hours of mornings and weekend, there was no way I would have made it at all.

Ok, back to work for me. Sigh.

12:52 pm  
Blogger Mowpea said...

Well done, ah gerr, well done!

7:34 pm  
Blogger Mint Chutney said...

Hi Nutty-

Life's been crazy but I haven't forgotten about the watch. I bet it'll shave 15 minutes off your time. : )

9:00 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Yules: Poor thing. Nevermind la. I'm planning to go to Ipoh for the run there in July. 10km. If you wanna go for a makan-makan + run trip, come la :)

Mow: Thank you, ah pi, thank you!

Minty: There you are! Haven't seen you online lately! Miss ya bebs! Thanks for helping me with the HRM! Really appreciate it! :D I hope I shave more than 15mins in the future. Speeds above 90 minutes are considered "slow". Hahahaha!

10:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

COME TO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

we see mandy and go makan :D all are welcome to give mandy some love :)

3:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home