"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Friday, January 11, 2008

Brick it! You gotta brick it!

I've read lots about it, and it always sounded scary. Running with stiff or jelly legs after a bike ride (two disciplines back to back, a must in triathlon training). We use different sets of muscles for the bike and run, but lactic acid build up and fatigue can make the run hell. That's why it's called a brick - your legs would probably feel like they're carrying a ton of them.

Now that I've tried it, hey, it wasn't all that bad after all.
I was actually hoping to do a long ride yesterday, but everyone going on long rides were super fast riders training for Ironman next month. I'm a slow newbie so I'd either be a real nuisance or be left far behind. So after looking around for rides to join in, I found out MS was doing a brick in Putrajaya with some friends. 50km bike + 20km run. Gulp, but what the heck.

Woke up at 4.45am so I wouldn't be late. Showered. Ate breakfast. And got to the Putrajaya Mosque by 6.00am, a tad too early (drove too fast on a deserted highway). There were already cars parked outside - Sahur time, and people were walking in for prayers. I didn't want to be pelted by stones seen outside a mosque wearing my not-very-inconspicuous red cycling tights, so I stayed in the car, and waited for the rest to arrive.

It was a pleasant morning ride, starting out from the Putrajaya Mosque at about 6.30-6.45am, out to Cyberjaya and then back, followed by a run from the mosque to the Putrajaya Convention Centre. I took slightly over 2 hours to complete the 50km ride (the other guys were way ahead, but MS and IZ were kind enough to wait up for me, TQ), and about an hour twenty for an easy-pace 10km run. Most of us ended up running just 10km. The sun was merciless.

Then I went home to shower and met them at Edwin's bike shop (Joo Ngan Son in DU). I fixed in a bike computer (RM150) at last! YAY! A Cat's Eye with 8 functions including cadence! Now I can keep track of my RPM and how many kms I've gone.

Other recent purchases (gulp):
- I got this red pair of Optic Nerve Rodango with 4 sets of lenses (RM250) online! Whooopeee dooo! I really wanted the Oakley Half Jacket Sunglasses but it would cost more than double, without extra lenses. Sigh. Once again, my head ruled the heart :( *uhuk*

Sigh. Isn't the one on the right wayyyy prettier? Match my bike summore.

- Cat's Eye front and tail lights for night riding! :D
Yet to go for a night ride though.


- Bought an entire box of 24 x 500ml Gatorade (Lemon Lime) from Giant a few days ago. RM1.99 each. Good stuff. Hahaha. After 3 days and I'm already down to 20 bottles.

I've gotten pretty much everything I need. Except maybe a hand pump in case my tyres pancit half way while riding. Hmmm. Next month lah.

Labels: , ,

2 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

you're right the white oakleys are pretty. set up a fund lar! donate to nut's sunnies foundation hee hee :)

1:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the white ones are nice!

Aiyoh, reading your blog always makes me feel tired! Lol!

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home