"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Two 007

On 1st January, I didn't feel any different.
It's just another new day of another new year.

I don't know if I should feel comforted that my blase attitude towards it means I'm quite comfortable with who I am and where I am right now.

Or if I'm just putting off making some REAL plans for myself.

Thing is, I'm terrified of planning.
Terrified of disappointments.
And I realise the older I get, the more terrified I am of failure.

I'm now more averse to risks, something which used to excite me. The bravado and energy I had in my early 20s are no where to be found.

So what's in store for this year.
Well, I do hope to do the following:
1) Learn to scuba dive
2) Climb Mount Kinabalu
3) Travel somewhere new, but with the money spent on the above, it'd be quite impossible.
4) Train up for races again (and more ambitiously, a sprint triathlon with the objective to complete it in one piece)
5) There is talk of starting a music school with some friends. It's just a little dream at the moment. I don't know if we can make it happen. And when the time comes, I don't know how I'll shit out my share of the capital.

Hmm. Since I have a penchant for lists, here's a retrospective one of some things I like about 2006.
1) My Cambodia-Thailand adventure with LY. From the Amazing Race style of flying to tuk-tuks around the temples to motorbikes around the villages to a long lake ride across the Tonle Sap, it was thrilling.
2) My laptop. Now that I have one, I really wonder how I managed without. It's my jukebox, my filing cabinet, my financial planner, my diary, my lifeline to the outside world. Sigh. Oh, and I like my iPod too. Now all I need is broadband. 2007 and I'm still on effing dial up!
3) The Lasik. I can't say it enough - I'm so glad I did it. The freedom is amazing. And I'm paying monthly by installments, so it isn't too painful on my pocket either.
4) My Hong Kong trip. If it wasn't for CC's wedding, HK would never be on my 'To Visit' list. But after 6 days in that crazy place, I grew to love it. The food. The pace (ok, maybe it is a liiitttllee too fast for me). The food. Oh, did I mention the food?
5) The band. It's so fun making music and doing little gigs (they're less stressful compared to big gigs). The past few months with them kinda helped me appreciate AND play a wider range of genres. It's great fun.
6) The apartment. 25 years of debt. How's that for an 'adult' decision. Why did I do it? It looked like a good investment. Better than letting what little money I have sit redundantly in the bank. It'll FORCE me to save money. And because I can sell only in 5 years, it's yet another excuse or reason for me to not do what I really want to do - be a professional bum.

I dare not wish or expect a better year for 2007.
But what comes, comes.

If only time would take its time.

Labels: ,

4 wandered by:

Blogger adriene said...

wishing you a wonderful 2007 dear. take care. all the best.

12:56 pm  
Blogger Yue-li said...

well, you're starting the year right with a little detox-ing.

you already know how i feel about 2007 - so many public holidays on a SATURDAY!

cheh!

4:24 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Adriene: Same to you babe! More great experiences to come, I'm sure?

Yules: Ya man! I counted FIVE! FIVE Saturdays! So rugi man! Some more labour day and wesak day on the same day! RUGI RUGI RUGI!

4:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year babe. Call me when you start diving, another buddy is always great, and you'll love it ! :)

7:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home