"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A very short long weekend

Love?
I saw Cinta on Saturday. When D suggested we watch it I was more than hesitant. Not that I have little faith in locally made movies (heh). But well...

The movie exceeded my expectations with well-developed characters and a good cast (mostly). Datuk Rahim Razali (Cikgu Elyas) was a joy to watch. As was Fatimah Abu Bakar (Rubiah). There was nothing over the top about this movie. Everything was understated, making it real and believable. I also loved how they featured the quaint parts of KL we don't see in our perpetual hurry.

The movie was a little like Love Actually, but Cinta's more than a fuzzy feel-gooder. It showed me what love meant to different people and made me think about what it meant to me, in its many different aspects. I teared at some parts, and I rarely cry at the movies. No spoiler here, so go watch it yourself.


The Bum
Bought John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley in Search of America from Pay Less Books.

I have too many unread books on my shelf at the moment. But I couldn't resist this one. Firstly, it's Steinbeck. Secondly, there's a dog in the book. Thirdly, the synopsis didn't sound as depressing as his previous books (this one's kinda like a little memoir). And last but not least, it was all of RM8.90. Wheeee!

I couldn't put it down and read half the book before I forced by myself to stop at 3am. From the very first page, I could relate to what he felt when he was 58. Although I hope I don't have to wait another 30 years before I actually do something about it. Here's an excerpt from page 1.

"When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight, perhaps senility will do the job.

Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ship's whistle still raise the hair on my neck and set my feet to tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of the stomach high up under the rib cage.

In other words, I don't improve; in further words, once a bum, always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable. I set this matter down not to instruct others but to inform myself.

When the virus of restlessness begins to take possession of a wayward man, the road away from Here seems broad and straight and sweet, the victim must first find in himself a good and sufficient reason for going... [ ]"


Sigh.


Painful Ankle
I went to the gym. The pain in my ankle (goodness knows where that came from) plaguing me off and on for the past week put a stop to my running after just 5 minutes on the treadmill. Crap.

I ended up hobbling around Subang Parade Christmas shopping. I don't think all the extra walking did me any good. But ah... some retail therapy made me feel so much better. Bought a big bulk of gifts from MPH. Renewed my MRC membership. And saw TWO books I wanted to buy. Mark Haddon's A Spot Of Bother and Mitch Albom's For One More Day. But good girl me resisted. Must wait till the paperbacks come out. MUST wait. Hard cover so expensive lah. Tsk tsk.


Rehearsals
Saturday morning - the band.
We still don't have a name.
Any suggestions for a band of 4 lawyers and a copywriter?
4 Legals and A Gal? Nah.
Next gig, a wedding on the 22nd.

Sunday and Monday night - Fancy Poultry.
And more Poultry rehearsals coming Wednesday and Thursday.
Stressed out now cos we only have ONE practice session with Gruvavenue (the band performing with us) this Sunday before the Bangkok Jazz gig on Christmas eve. For some strange reason I'm NOT looking forward to this one too much.


Only in Malaysia...
...you can have a breakfast of yao char koay (fried dough sticks) with kopi-o, chee cheong fun and prawn mee in a coffeeshop, THEN walk to the mamak shop behind it for more drinks. Cheap and good.


Turkey scouting
Shockers.
Cold Storage Summit Subang - RM16.90/kg
Cold Storage Subang Parade - RM19.99/kg
Giant Kelana Jaya - RM16.99/kg
Village Grocer, Bangsar Village - RM18.99/kg

The price difference comes up to alot when an average turkey is around 5kg. No prizes for guessing where I'll be buying my turkey.


I love supermarkets
- I love them. I can browse the shelves for a long, long time.
Today I bought purple potatoes. They're like purple inside out. And Bosc pears. I love pears. And I wanted to get the Carlsberg Christmas Honey Beer but they were sold out. Hmmph.

- I realise I could be a little obsessive compulsive (if so I must have gotten it from my mom... NOOOOOOOO!!!). I found myself rearranging chocolate bars that were in disarray on a shelf. Then I saw another shelf in disarray and felt very, very annoyed. Strangely, I don't feel that way about my room or my work desk.

- Lots of pre-made stuffing on sale. And pre-made gravy. Oh how I'm turning my nose up at those.

- I don't understand this deep feeling of satisfaction when I walk into the non-halal (non-kosher) section. And the little twinge that tells me I should've bought something, ANYTHING, when I leave.

- There are PINK Smarties in Cold Storage. PINK! Nearly RM20. Nuts.

- Kids shouldn't be allowed to push trolleys. I was tempted to roll over one with mine.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~geekchic
PINK M&Ms?! *drool* make my tongue pinker than it already is :D Yea, I saw Mark Haddon's book as well. Had.To.Stop.Myself.But then again, I got that 15% discount ticket for borders :)

8:44 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Geek: I thought of you when I saw it. Was so tempted to get it for you for Christmas. But then like so not worth it hor? RM20 can go into something so much much more useful!

2:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

yup, Rm20 is a waste on pink M&Ms. could've been spent on like..umm... 6 pink toilet brushes with change to spare too! =D

3:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm... bosc pears. Try with rocket and blue cheese in a balsamic dressing... heaven

6:17 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Geek: But that's enough to last you a loooonnng long time! Haiya... you use the one you have now until charn first laaa... ;)

Cyn: OH! That sounds extremely good. Must go get blue cheese and rocket. Slurp. I love rocket. Had it on a pizza with just mozzarella and artichokes. That's heaven too!

6:35 pm  
Blogger Yue-li said...

You should have just rolled those kids over. No big loss also :p

yueli

1:46 pm  
Blogger sunny-side up said...

Hey, chic. I'm getting the stuff ready for the muso. As far as the question of why it's only 1 practise? 1. cos we usually take 1 rehearsal to run thru the materials with other singers so i trust you're as good as any others. 2. I wouldn't need you to be here to listen to the muso practising their chops or vice versa. 3. I believe your time is precious. 4. Don't worry. Just open your mouth (sounds like a dentist?).

12:28 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Sunny: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

11:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home