"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Thursday, December 14, 2006

All's well ends well

Cambodian Well Project

When I was in Phnom Penh, I had the opportunity to visit a Cambodian village where Vuthy, my tour guide, came from. He invited me and LY to his niece's wedding and while we were there, he took us on a tour of the village. It was brought to our attention that clean water was a scarce commodity, and that the wells we saw were kindly donated by NGOs and kind individuals.

Probably the most educated of his generation, Vuthy helps his villagers get funds for well-building, while working as an English-speaking tour guide in Siem Reap at the same time. He would go back to Phnom Penh often to oversee the building and completion of these wells.

Each well costs USD 100 (about RM380) each and can supply clean water to several families. After a well is completed, a plaque is put up to name and thank the donors. He then takes a picture of the well, which he sends to the donors with many thanks



Everywhere we went, the villagers were very kind to Vuthy and us. Vuthy said he hopes to build more wells in the area. At the moment, most donors are Australians affliated with some NGOs in Cambodia.

It's been 7 months since I got back from Cambodia and I've been meaning to get this started, but never found the time. I told myself I have to get this done before the year is out. LY and I have gotten some verbal pledges from some of our friends and family. We hope to get enough donations to make a difference in a village or two.

If you would like to help some rural Cambodians have access to something as basic as clean water, let me know. You can donate the well as an individual, in groups or as a company. I will assign donors to each well depending on the donation amount and number of donors (e.g. 4 x RM95 donors to ONE well)

Vuthy will then arrange for everything else, including proof of completion once the wells are ready. If you're worried about mishandling of funds, I believe I'm a good judge of character. And after almost a week with this guy, I know he's an honest man. From his interaction with the villagers, I also saw that he was humble and well respected. I plan to go to Cambodia again one day anyway, so I can check on the wells myself.



I'm doing this in good faith, and I hope you will too.
If you want to know more about water conditions in Cambodia, visit this website: http://www.phic.org/what/water_wells.htm

I hope to collect the funds by Christmas, and wire it over before the new year. Email me at wandernut@yahoo.com if you would like to contribute.

Labels: ,

1 wandered by:

Blogger Yue-li said...

Oh crap. Forgot to bring you the money for the well AGAIN.

10:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home