"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Monday, January 22, 2007

Something Fishy This Way Comes


This is all I can say about the KFC Alaskan Fish Burger.
GOD-DAMNED AWFUL!

The TV commercial had nothing to do with it (apologies to my friends who did it... it was prolly the client, right? Hahaha). But that said I have a bone or two to pick about this gross miscommunication. Right, I work in the ad business, so I know the burgers won't turn out as big, as juicy, as pretty or as delicious as portrayed on TV. I know how to 'manage my expectations' and take it all with a pinch of salt.

In this case, I did not need any salt. At all.
The fish was exceedingly salty. Maybe to cover up its exceedingly fishy taste. They claim to be using pollack fish. McDonald's Filet-O-Fish uses pollack fish. They taste MILES apart.

KFC claims the Alaskan Fish Burger is 30% bigger than the nearest competitor. "More fish with every bite" MY ASS! It was in NO WAY bigger than a Filet-O-Fish, assuming that's the 'nearest competitor' they were talking about. Look, if they want to compare themselves to the likes of Ramly Burger el cheapo fish fillet burgers or A&W's fish burger, they might as well shove it up themselves.

The ads portray the fish in the Alaskan Fish Burger to be TWICE it's actual size. Most ads usually have this disclaimer: *All items shown are a representation of the actual product. That I can accept. But this... this was pushing it wayyyyy too far.

Next, the sauce. It was bad. Yucky mayo and some funny chilli sauce. Nothing, NOTHING like the gob-smacking deliciousness of tartar sauce in Filet-O-Fish (which they put so little of in the burgers nowadays, upsetting!). The sauce and shredded lettuce created quite a mess on top of the miserable fish patty. Oh, and the bun was dry. Nothing like the soft, fragrant steamed bun of Filet-O-Fish.

KFC is offering a money-back guarantee for those who are dissatisfied with the taste. But I didn't bend as low as an ah pek cheapskate. I will pay for what I've eaten, but there's no going back.

The very next day I HAD to have a Filet-O-Fish, just to erase the memory of the Alaskan Fish Burger from my mouth. Yecch!


Now THIS is a fish burger.


*Note: My opinions are personal and I am not affiliated in any way to McDonalds or KFC. Just so you know, cos these days, even bloggers get sued for defamation. Heh.

Labels: ,

3 wandered by:

Blogger Yue-li said...

Like wat Alvin said lor... you go KFC eat fish burger for wat?

8:17 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Yules: Yalor! Stick to chicken from now on man. Curiousity isn't a very good thing and I'm slow to learn that.

Spot: HAHAHAHA. I didn't notice that... How, erm, observant. But if there's anyone I want biting my ass, it ain't Colonel Sanders! *shudders*

4:41 pm  
Blogger Minang Bercakap American said...

nice post. Care to give a comment about the Grilled Chicken Foldover and the Spicy Beef Foldover?

Don't worry, I'm just an avid reader of blog that catches my interest.

Rae

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home