"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Friday, January 12, 2007

Father time

I enjoy hanging out with my dad.
Not that I'm a daddy's girl or anything, but we get along very well these days. One upon a time when he was younger and of better health, he had quite a nasty temper. Age and Parkinson's have slowed him down considerably. But despite all that, he laughs and jokes alot more now. And he sends me the funniest SMSes - mostly reports on Sunshine's antics and complaints about mom's super healthy (read: bland) cooking. He'd conspire with me to buy home some Hokkien Fry for supper. Bad for him, but I indulge the old man sometimes.

On Friday, I was on leave. Dad had to get his meds from both UH (now UMMC) and IJN (National Heart Institute). IJN was smack in town, near some of the more interesting old eating joints. I read about a Mushroom Pan Mee stall on Lorong Haji Taib 5 (a notorious red light district by night) on eatingasia.typead.com. Dad being a greedy foodie like me, despite his stomach not being able to digest as well as it used to, was more than eager to try it out. It was nice and mushroomy, though I felt the soup was rather bland. Read EatingAsia's article for a full description.

On the same foodie blog, there was a post about an old Chinese pastry shop nearby called Sin Wah Bee. They are famous for their Tau Sar Pneah (mung bean biscuits - ground mung beans in a flaky lard-y pastry). My dad loves Tau Sar Pneah and gets cravings for them. So we took a short walk along the backroads of Chow Kit to find that shop. And it was there. Just like in the picture on EatingAsia's blog, the old Chinese lady was at the back, making the little biscuits. A big mound of mung bean paste in front of her. Little circles of pastry shaped into coins on her side. A big wooden tray was filled with freshly baked biscuits. The place looked like nothing was changed since decades ago. Check out EatingAsia's pictures of this little shop. Very interesting. Taste-wise, cannot beat Penang's Ghee Hiang Tau Sar Pneah though. Hehe.

As we were walking back to the car I spotted a Bake With Yen baking supplies shop. I went nuts. LITERALLY. There's just something about baking supplies shops (and supermarkets) that makes me deliriously happy :D.

Back to the nuts. Chinese New Year's coming and I'm thinking of making more biscotti. Different flavours. So I bought a pack each of crystallised ginger, almonds, pistachios and pecans. Dad went on to take a handful of each nut to roast for snacking in front of the TV. Bwahahahaha!

Labels: , , ,

0 wandered by:

Post a Comment

<< Home