"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I must, I must, or kill myself trying!

After letting my running shoes decay over the past 2 years, it's time to give them a regular pounding again. I realise that without goals in mind, I'd be too lazy to haul myself to the gym. So here is my ambitious Race Calendar. I hope to do all of the following races, including the optional ones. That is if my wonky knee doesn't decide to give up on me.

18th March - Kuala Lumpur International Marathon - 10km
The goal: To finish within the qualifying time of 90 minutes. I dare not hope for the times I used to finish in.

20th May - New Balance Pacesetters 15km
The goal: To finish. Period.

1 July - Ipoh Open International Run (no details yet)
The goal: Have an excuse to go up and stuff myself silly after a run. Eh, running burns alot of calories what!

30 July - Penang Bridge Run - Half Marathon (optional)
The goal: Same as above. But dunno if all the assam laksa in Penang is big enough a carrot to motivate me for 22km. GULP. I guess I'll decide after the New Balance 15km. If I struggle through that, I'll give this a miss.

5 August - Adidas King of the Road 10km
The goal: To do a better time than previous 10km races.

25-26 August - Perhentian Challenge Outdoor Quest (optional)
The goal: This one sounds super exciting as well as very physically and mentally challenging. Last year, the slowest team took 6 hours to complete the following: kayakking, trail running, jungle trek, coasteering, Tyrolean Traverse (some kind of rope-like monkey climbing) and snorkeling while navigating. Hoooaaaa!! But dunno lah... not enough leave days how!

8 Sept - Genting Trailblazer 6km (optional)
The goal: To have fun. This is trail running. Different from road running. There's also a 14km trail, but er...

In between, I plan to start swimming again.
And hopefully take up cycling (gotta borrow a bike!), so that next year I can try a triathlon. Sprint category lah (Swim: 750m / Bike: 20km / Run: 5km), with the goal to finish in one piece. The full deal, (Olympic distance - Swim: 1.5km / Bike: 40km / Run: 10km), would be a suicide attempt on my part.

There are superhumans who do the half-Ironman (Swim: 1.9km / Bike: 90km / Run: 21.5km @ Half Marathon). And people who do the Ironman are probably from another planet altogether (Swim: 3.8km / Bike: 180km / Run: 42.2km @ Full Marathon). Goodness. Phew!

Advice from a friend who's quite a hard-core triathlete.
"WN, hope you don't mind la, but if you want your first race to be less painful, it'd help if you lose some weight. No, you're not fat now, but it'll help overall."

It means... can't be on a "see food" diet and eat everything within my line of sight. Or whatever I feel like for that matter.

Lotsa training.

And DISCIPLINE.

OH GAWD.
No more compulsive eating after Chinese New Year.
Ya, ya... me nuts. See if this happens or not lah. Heh!


Post Edit:

18th March - Kuala Lumpur International Marathon - 10km. Completed in 1:12.

20th May - New Balance Pacesetters 15km. Completed in 1:55.

24 June - Penang Bridge Run. Ran in 1:18

1 July - Ipoh Open International Run. Not running as I will be in Muar for a wedding.

8 July - Siemens 10k Run. Must better previous 10k time.

5 August - Adidas King of The Road. Must better previous 10k time.

12 August - PJ Half Marathon. I plan to go for the 10km run, of course. Though I wonder if I should be ambitious and attempt the 21km. This would probably be the last road race of the year anyway. I might kill myself half way but hmmm... I have until end of July to decide.

Labels:

5 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

Do the ipoh and penang one. can stay with me :) I take you go eatttttttttttttttttttttttt :)

7:33 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Geek: That is if I dun end up in the hospital first. Kekekekekeke...

4:43 pm  
Blogger Yue-li said...

eh the sprint triathlon doesn't sound THAT baddd.... i dread the running part more than the swimming or cycling. ok la.. will try for that also. rpm here i come!

9:38 pm  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Yules: That's the spirit! YAY! :D

2:03 am  
Blogger Yue-li said...

if we collapse and die during the triathlon or (more likely) while training for it... at least we'll do so looking real fit :p

2:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home