"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Thursday, May 08, 2008

I'm an alien

It's bloody troublesome to get a Chinese visa right now, what with the Olympics and all. But to get a work visa, OMG, it's a freaking headache.

Before entry into China, I must first get a “Working (Z) Visa” at the Chinese Embassy in Malaysia. Here's the To-Do list:

STEP 1
Provide the following documents to my new employer in Shanghai.
1. Chinese resume(your last degree obtained and your complete working experience)
2. Original or faxed copy letter from former employer to prove the working experience
3. Copy of the passport
4. Chinese name
Done. This part was easy.


STEP 2
Employer in Shanghai applies for the “Alien Employment License” and “Working (Z) Visa Notice”.

I received these documents 2 weeks ago. The first, a laminated document stating I'm an alien seeking employment, the other a photocopied form requesting the Chinese Embassy here to process my visa.


STEP 3
Take the “Alien Employment License”, “Working (Z) Visa Notice”, my passport and other documents required by the local Chinese Embassy to apply for Working (Z) Visa.

Now how helpful was that. What other documents?
Thinking a travel agent would know the requirements, I called up Reliance Travel. They knew jack-shit and were not helpful at all. So I called up Holiday Tours and Travel and I was very impressed. The service was not only friendly and prompt, but the person I spoke to went out of her way to help me out. She even gave me her mobile number and email in case I needed to contact her with any questions. She called up the Chinese embassy and told me I would also need to submit a medical report from Tungshin Hospital, along with my application. If it wasn't for her, I would have wasted time at the embassy as the HR person in China said the medical was to be done in Shanghai itself.

I have done my medical check up (ECG, X-Ray, blood work) and should be going to the embassy on Friday. The documents sent to me from Shanghai expire next week (talk about a small time window!) so it has to be done ASAP.


After Entry into China,
timing is also very crucial. There are not one, not two but three permits to apply for within the first 30 days of my arrival. Yup. In the To-Do list, the HR person warned that "Any delay will cause severe loss and a lot of trouble."

Scary.

1. Apply for the Registration Form of Temporary Residence (临时住宿登记表)within 48 hours of arrival in Shanghai. This has to be done at the District Public Safety Bureau and takes 1 working day. If I stay in a hotel, the hotel will help to get the form. But if I'm staying in an apartment, I have to visit the District Public Safety Bureau in person with a leasing contract and my passport.

2. Apply for a Working Permit (外国人就业证) within 15 days of arrival. The Working Permit is issued at the Shanghai Labor Bureau and takes 5 working days.
Documents needed from me:
- Original passport and one copy (I get back my passport on the same day)
- Original Registration Form of Temporary Residence
- Original Alien Employment License
- 3 passport size photos

Documents to be prepared by Shanghai employer:
- 2 application forms
- Copy of the Chinese employment contract
- Copy of the Certificate of Verification
- Copy of company business license
To get the Certificate of Verification, a full physical examination is necessary to prove I am in good health and free from any disease, communicable ailment, or sexually transmitted disease. I wonder if this is still necessary now that I've done my medical check up in KL to apply for the visa in the first place.

The examination must apparently be completed in Shanghai at the Shanghai Health & Quarantine Verification Office. I have to bring my passport and a copy of it, 3 passport size photographs, copy of the company business license and an examination fee of 702 RMB. The examination has to be reserved around 5 working days in advance and it takes another 5 working days to get the Health Certification.

If your head is not spinning yet (mine is), there is one more step.

3. Apply for the Residence Permit (外国人居留许可) in person within 30 days after obtaining the working permit. Issued at the Shanghai Public Safety Bureau, it takes 5 working days.
Documents to be prepared by me:
- Original passport (The government will keep your passport for 5 working days)
- 1 passport size photo
- Original Registration Form of Temporary Residence and one copy

Documents prepared by Shanghai employer:
- Application Form
- Application letter from company
- Original Certificate of Verification
- Original Working Permit (The government will keep the Permit for 5 working days)
- Copy of the company business license/Certification of Approval/Company Code Certificate
This is oh, so very stressful.
With all this red tape, it's no wonder they are known as the 'red' country.

Labels:

4 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew, I'm tired just by reading all that.

:)

-Rin

12:06 pm  
Blogger drownedglass said...

OMG. Check into a hotel for like two days when you get there so at least you'd have help with the whatchamacallit.

OMG wonder if you have to do all the applications over there in Chinese.

OMG!

11:19 pm  
Blogger snowdrop said...

i like to imagine i'm an organised person, but you're hands down the winner, man! now that you have dug all that info out and listed it all out so neatly, it'll be a breeze just following the steps and ticking them off as they're done. good luck!

(and yay, seems i can comment from the office again!)

2:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ah Na,
Too much hassle but I am impressed with the Chinese authorities seeking a full medical check.
When I came to Japan, it was not a requirement and have to say that I was shocked.
Good luck in Shanghai.
kc

12:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home