"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Thursday, April 17, 2008

In a fix

My old trusty Canon Powershot S2 IS (circa 2005) has been wonky for a while now. It zaps the juice out of my rechargeable batteries too quickly. So I sent it to the Canon Service Centre for a quote and the repair would cost me RM freaking 491.

Now I'm wondering if I should spend that kind of money to repair that camera (which I love - it's easy to use with 12x Optical Zoom, and nice pictures despite it being 5.0 megapixel in today's 10 megapixel world).

But pay RM491 to fix a near obsolete camera?

Meanwhile, the latest Powershot S series (now the S5), costs about RM1400.

Or should I upgrade to an entry level DSLR and get a Nikon D40x (RM2199 with kit) or the Canon EOS 450D (about RM2800 with kit).

Sigh.
So broke. I shouldn't even be spending anymore money.

But how? To fix or not to fix ?
Or should I hold out for something better?

Labels:

3 wandered by:

Blogger drownedglass said...

To fix or not to fix? I'd say NOT! Haha.

As for getting a new one, the first thing to consider is whether you want a DSLR or a compact. They are entirely different things so you wanna think about how and when you're gonna use your camera (picture quality, portability, functionality, zoomability, etc). Don't worry too much about megapixel count unless you really need the print big blow-ups of your pics.

For a DSLR, you won't go wrong with the D40x. It's been consistently getting rave reviews (admittedly, I have a bias for Nikon :P). Or try the Nikon D60, which is an improved D40x, and I do believe it still costs less than the Canon.

You can also look at the "prosumer" ranges, such as the Nikon P5100 or the Powershot G9. The G9's probably the best of the lot, but at a price that's close to RM2000, I'd say go for a Nikon DSLR!

If budget is a problem, there are pretty nice cameras to be had for below RM1000. I just got myself a Nikon P60 (RM699 on the last day of PC Fair), which I'm quite happy with - 8Mp,5x zoom, manual mode and a pretty impressive VR. Obviously not the best camera out there, but it's a really good one for that price :-)

Just go out and try the cameras lah, and see which one you fall in love with. Hehe. Happy shopping!

10:12 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

I'm doomed.
I tend to 'fall in love' with things I can ill afford. :P

9:49 pm  
Blogger drownedglass said...

Haha. I know that feeling too well. But for me, falling in love with things I can ill afford only means I get resigned to the fact that I can never buy that and have to look for something more budget-y instead :-)

12:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home