"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Monday, March 17, 2008

A suitable case

Ok, ok.. very bad pun.
Even I can't stand it. Hahahaha.

On Saturday, D and I were exploring The Gardens for the first time (so jakun), and the general feeling was, we wouldn't want to shop here very much cos everything was so expensive. I think the floor we enjoyed most was the Marketplace. The Thai restaurant was pretty good - Rak Thai.

Then we walked past a Samsonite outlet. It's not ANY Samsonite outlet but a Samsonite Black Label outlet. And from the window display, one particular suitcase caught my eye. D rolled his eyes.

"How is that even practical?"

"I know, but look at the belt!"

"It looks human with the belt."

"But so pretty!"

And I insisted we went in to see.
The price tag - RM4100. Errr... o-h-k-a-y.

It was gorgeous to say the least. But way more than what I could afford. And way more than what I would spend on a suitcase, even if I could afford it. They also had the hard case, which was what I actually wanted (a hard case, not the Samsonite). Lined with silk on the inside with the belt detail on the outside, the price tag - just slightly cheaper than the soft case at RM3980 or something like that. Oh well.

This range is from the Samsonite Black Label Vintage Collection (comes with a lifetime warranty). Available for a limited time only, also in other colours like Champagne and Pink. Yes, pink. Geek, you'll love it. But I doubt you'll like the price either.

We went on to look for more sensible suitcases, including Samsonite for the more common folk. Saw some pretty decent basic Samsonite hard cases on promotion. RM880. Good strong material, comes with warranty. No lining (silk or not) and no belt detail, of course.

Then we saw an Eminent suitcase. With one of my favourite signs stuck on it - 50% off. The suitcase after discount - RM339. Looked pretty decent and sturdy, though not made from the same material as the Samsonite. I was quite torn between the basic Samsonite and this one. The sales girl said the Samsonite would be more durable and of course, more reliable.

A wise voice next to me convinced me to get the one at half price.

"Look, you're more likely to lose your suitcase in transit than see it break and fall apart."

"It's so cheap, even if it breaks you can easily buy a new one! Worse case scenario, if it breaks at the airport, can claim from the airline one!!"

"Don't forget you have to pay for your air-conds end of this month."

Sigh. I got the one at half price.
Which was less than half the price of the basic Samsonite.
And less than 1/10th the price of the Black Label Vintage suitcase with the belt.

Sensible shopping, this is.

Labels: ,

3 wandered by:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choice!

D (The Nag)

11:54 am  
Blogger ... said...

Foo yoh! Had you gotten the 4k Samsonite one, I would have fainted! Even with all my things packed in, I doubt it'd be worth the price of the luggage bag! Lol!

6:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adoi, what's with the belt lar...wise choice, I will go for the half price without thinking twice :)

8:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home