"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Good Morning K.L.!

KL International Marathon 2007 (10km Race)

When I woke up at 5.30am this morning, I was so tempted to go back to bed. I didn't register in time last week, so I'd be running without a number anyway. What if they wouldn't let me run? YL and LS were giving the race a miss, so I'd be running alone as well. So boring. No after-run breakfast. Bleh...

Then the voice in my head practically screamed, "Enough excuses la! Loser. You've been psyching yourself up for this for months. Get up and go!"

So I did.
After parking my car at Padang Merbok, I walked towards Dataran Merdeka. There was a buzz of activity. Lights. People. Music. It was rather exciting and I felt so glad I came. I asked an official if it was okay to run without a number. He said I could, but I wouldn't be eligible for points and the goodie bag. Yeah, whatever. I could RUN! Woohoooo!

It was 6:45am and the 10km was about to start, when the first few marathon runners approached the Finish Line. WAH... the marathon (42.4km) started at 4.30am and they were finishing in less than 2.5 hours? O.M.G! They were Kenyans. Skinny, VERY FAST Kenyans. Running like it was just a brisk morning jog.

At 7am, we were flagged off. It started with a slight uphill towards the old train station. Hello old train station!

Then we turned into Jalan Istana.
Hello National Palace! Hello Dewan Bahasa Pustaka! Hello VI School! Hello Pudu Jail!

Then we ran straight up through Jalan Imbi, turning into Bintang Walk and then Jalan Sultan Ismail. Hello Hard Rock Cafe! Hello Sheraton Imperial!

And finally, we turned left into Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman, which led us back to Dataran Merdeka for the finish. It's a less hilly route compared to the old Jalan Duta route, but it sure felt alot longer.

There were some elderly gentlemen I tried to pace with. But boy, they were fast. Sometimes I would overtake, only to find them in front of me a few minutes later. Shy. Towards the end, with 1km left to go, my ankle started to hurt. So I slowed down to a walk. Then I had to stop.

Suddenly a voice boomed behind me.
It was one of them old uncles.

"Girl! Don't stop! Keep going! Slow jog! But don't run too fast! Almost there! Go go go!"

I waved my thanks and pushed myself to the finish line.

After over 2 years of not running in a race, I was surprised I made it in pretty decent time. I was only hoping to finish within the qualifying time of 90 minutes, but managed 72 minutes! Yay! Not the best time ever, but way better than I expected.

As I'm typing I'm icing my ankle.
More torture in 2 weeks! Mount Kinabalu, yippeee! :)

Labels:

6 wandered by:

Blogger ... said...

Good job! So proud of you :)

Only excercise I've been getting is playing with our Nintendo Wii

*shy*

-Rin

1:36 pm  
Blogger Yue-li said...

Hah? Li shen ffk u ah? HAHAHAHA!
Good job!

5:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

~~~~~~~~~geekchic

SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! Now, go have an icecream on my behalf.

The most exercise I'd done in a long time was to cart my groceries up 5 flights of stairs. Lift broke down :P

9:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knew you could do it! Congrats!!


D

10:01 am  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Rin: Finger exercise ma! Your fingers sure stronger than mine! Hahaha!

Yules: Yar man! No post-run beef nooder at Lai Foong :( Sniff!

Geekchic: Hahaha! 5 flights of stairs no joke man! Quite terror lor that one.

D: Hahaha... nothing to congrats about lerr. If one day I complete a 21km without dying then that'd be a bigger deal! Bwahaha!

4:02 pm  
Blogger Fruit of Eden said...

Your VERY FAST SKINNY KENYANS are in the paper today..!
Well you ran a good race.. now to koyak in KK, then we go wakeboarding OK? OK? OK?

7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home