"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Thursday, October 05, 2006

HONG KONG Day 4: TST, Yau Ma Tei, Mongkok & The Wedding

After 3 absolutely hectic days of seeing the sights and stuffing our faces, we decided to slow down a little today and stay on this side of the harbour.

We didn't rush to wake up (thanks to our already aching feet and bodies). But when we did, we went back to the same dimsum place at the corner of Haiphong and Canton Road. I shall not post up more pictures of what we ate, after some angry and hungry comments on my earlier posts. Hee hee.

So, we made the rounds, visiting shops we didn't really go into earlier in our trip. And like I mentioned previously, we stopped by Staccato again. I wanted to buy the peep toes, but they looked horrid on me. They looked nice on ST though. So she bought it. *sulk*




After some shopping and sighing over many things we decided not to buy, we walked up Nathan Road. And that's when I discovered this little 'milk shop'. It had a cute little cow logo and served all things milk. Steamed milk hot and cold, flavoured milks and so on. They had a double skin steamed milk served hot, which was their signature dish, but I opted for a cold steamed milk with ginger juice. More refreshing la.

It was smooth and creamy. Just like taufu fa (soy bean curd) minus the estrogen-producing enzymes. I also ordered a steamed egg custard (I always hear about it on those TVB Chinese soaps, I just HAD to try it), but I could only finish half. It was quite filling, and well, eggy. There were chocolate flavours and some pretty 'interesting stuff'. But not being a cow with four stomachs, I couldn't possibly try EVERYTHING. Did ST have any? No. Cos she was still too stuffed after dimsum. Sigh.

Soon we were back at the hotel. But not before we bought some breads and local goodies. The breads were from a funky bakery with lots of pretty looking buns and pastries. They didn't taste as good as they looked. The poot chai gou (red beans in rice flour pudding) and soong gou (caramel steamed cake) were nice, but way too much for me to take all at once. I only took a small nibble of everything to have a taste. Wasteful. Shame on me.

We rested awhile, then changed to go out again. It felt mighty strange to be all dressed up for a wedding and taking the MTR to Wan Chai. And then walking the distance (which looked hell alot shorter on the freaking map!) to the dinner venue at Dynasty Club next to The Hyatt.

It was a small, poshy venue. A members-only place, they were thrilled to get the venue thanks to a friend of the bride. The dining hall overlooked the harbour. And the food was more than fantastic. Sharks fin like they came from real sharks (as opposed to the melt-in-your-spoon-not-in-your-mouth gelatin variety). Personally I wouldn't order sharks fin at MY wedding (if and when that happens). But since the shark's already dead, it'd be a shame to let it die in vain. Er... right?

There were ELEVEN courses (not inclusive of Chinese tea), not EIGHT courses WITH tea like in KL. And all good quality stuff with wine flowing all night. Dinner started after the cake cutting ceremony and toast. Which was rather odd, but that's how they do it Hong Kong apparently.

CC and his bride, TL looked happy. It was my first time meeting her and I could see why CC's in love with her. Tall and elegant (she's 5' 10" at least), confident, gracious and she had no airs about her. Best of all, she actually succeeded in bringing him to church. It was strange to witness an ex-boyfriend's wedding to say the least, but it was a good feeling. We've been friends for so long, it's so nice to see that he has found love and happiness.

The thought did fleet in my mind very briefly. If we didn't break up before he went to UK to complete his studies, we would've been together for ten years (we were together for three). We probably would've killed each other at some point though, haha. Like a good friend of mine, CC was the typical Scorpio. Not that I believed in horror-scopes, but there were some uncanny similiarities. He was the best kind of friend and the worst kind of enemy. However, I noticed he changed a fair bit. The right woman does that to you, I guess *wink*

ST sent me an SOS SMS from IFC (an upmarket shopping centre like KLCC in KL) to tell me she was starting to spend too much money again. After dinner and the endless rounds of picture taking with his sisters and some friends, I was ready to leave. That's when my heels broke. Ooooh, good excuse to buy a new pair of heels AAARRGGHHH!!!

Luckily, CC's mom had a spare pair she could lend me. It was a size too small, but I managed to hobble into a cab to meet ST. With me struggling to walk and with her struggling to keep her purse in her handbag, we went back to the hotel. It was quite a sad ride on the MTR cos we suddenly realised our holiday was soon coming to an end.

<< PREVIOUS
>> NEXT: Central @ Little Manila, SOHO & Last Night in HK.

Labels: , , ,

1 wandered by:

Blogger Karen said...

oo, my first ex was a scorpio too... you're right about the best-friend-worst-enemy thing :)

2:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home