"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Almost the next Discovery Globetrekker Host

Imagine being the next Ian Wright or Megan McCormick!

Travel to places I can only dream of visiting.Eat peculiar foods... experience new things.Meet interesting people.

Thanks to LingYew, who suggested I give it a shot, I auditioned yesterday morning. I couldn't sleep the night before, wondering what they will ask me. And the worse thing one can do is over-prepare and think too much before an audition.

After working out my own 'WHY ME' speech all night, I found out they had their own 'brief' when I got there. Only had a few minutes to come up with an impromptu 'tok kok' for 2-3 minutes about any destination, festival or food.

Needless to say I chose the latter. Spoke about eating insects. How grasshoppers tasted like prawns and made my throat itch. How ants were great as long as they're not fire ants if you can't take spicy stuff. And how insects were a better deal cos they had 6 legs. While a chicken only had two. Lame, man. But they laughed all the same. How kind.

It was nerve wrecking. I've been to auditions, but I always knew what I was getting into. This was so different. So unpredictable!

They were going to call the semifinalists by 10pm on Saturday itself.... At 9.40pm, I thought, forget it lah... I didn't make it. But before I could heave a sigh, Discovery called.
ARRRGGGHH!!!

I made it to the semifinals!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHHOOOOO!!!

Sunday - The Semifinal

From over 300 auditionees, 20 were chosen for the semifinal. Today, 10 were eliminated. And the top 3 chosen to represent Malaysia at the Grand Finals in Singapore. There, they will pit against 3 other finalists from Singapore, Philippines, Thailand and Taiwan.

After breakfast with Jo Ho and gang at Midvalley, I scooted off to Berjaya Times Square. The coddled eggs and sausages I had turned to butterflies. When I found the stage at the concourse, I felt so nervous I went numb.

Grouped up with the other semifinalists and got our numbers (I was no.13). Then each of us had to get on stage to introduce ourselves to the judges. We only had one minute to wow or oww them. I told them I had a problem - wanderlust complete with an itchy backside. Said I'd do anything for Globetrekker. Join the monkeys in the jungle (scratched myself). Swim with piranhas or even eat them. Then my mind went blank (uh-oh)... so I bowed humbly and said I have nothing else to say. DOPE!

Then there was the group session. We were divided into 4 groups (5 ppl each). My team members were a nice bunch. We had Davina (who's bubbly and fun), Arni (who's really sweet), Diwa (who can really talk!) and Non (the Mix FM DJ who's a really cool guy) and me (the hyper one). We had to go out together and work as a team to answer 5 questions. Off the cuff. Up to 2 minutes each.

Before we went on stage, I was so nervous and tensed, my arm muscles went tight. I couldn't straighten out my fingers cos they were semi-clenched! My whole body felt like it was on pins and needles. Never felt this nervous before. We went on stage and fortunately, the questions weren't THAT bad.

Arni got Oktober Fest, but she got stuck halfway so I helped her out by babbling about how beer goes really well with sausages and sauerkraut (yeah, food... what else?). My question was about the Jewish tradition of breaking glasses at weddings! Aieeee... made some bullshit drinking story... with a loud YUM SENG! Got stuck too and Arni returned my favour by bailing me out! I was shaking throughout! Diwa got a question about finger tapping and chinese tea (and she was so good at frying a story!). Davina got one about brooms and bad luck while Non got one on pontianak. Everyone did a good job! Good thing we weren't judged on factual accuracy. Hah!

I was so ready to leave after that. Was sure I didn't make it to the last ten. When they called out my name, there was a 2 second lag before my brain registered I made it. Couldn't believe it! I MADE IT TO THE TOP TEN!!! Gawd!

The last 10 were Sumitra (very outspoken), Min (who came all the way from Singapore), Florence, Nigel (Dawn's boyfriend), Iriani (very confident), Melvin (who's really funny), a cute girl in a green t-shirt (can't remember her name), a lady in leopard print top (can't remember her name either), Davina and myself. We were each given envelopes and only allowed to open them 5 minutes before our turn... then spend 3 minutes talking about the subject, OFF THE CUFF (again)! It was traumatic. I got the Prosperity Cat. Created a story about how it originated from Japan... the Japs like fish, cats like fish... ladidadia... got on my knees to demonstrate how they worshipped it... and when I ran out of things to say, I pretended it was talking to me and I was talking to it... and used it to wave goodbye. Yeah. Seetupitt or wat! Boy, was I glad when that was over.

When they called us out to announce the top 3, I knew I wouldn't be one of them. The winners were Sumitra, Nigel and Iriani. Won't deny I was a little disappointed, but relief took over instantly. Relieved cos I can't imagine how making the top 3 would turn my life upside down, what with Rhino going on until December and a new job waiting next month! And I don't know if I can go through today's torture again. Will I try again next time? Hmmm...

All in all, it was a great experience. Made some new friends. Got a nice travel bag and a t-shirt! I also learned that I need to improve on articulating my thoughts. Fast. They form in my brain but they don't seem to come out from my mouth. At least not without a 5 second lag. Or in the right order.

Really glad I did this, and I'm thrilled I made it this far. At least I won't lie in bed the next few days regretting I didn't try.

It is also events like this that I'm reminded that I have such wonderful friends. Like LiYen who was there for me (as always). My wonderful colleagues and ex-colleagues who texted their encouragement. And what really touched me was how kind Chris was... he let me off a big part of rehearsal today. He's usually very strict about attendance. But when I told him about the whole Discovery thing last night , he was amazingly supportive. Told him if I didn't make top 10, I'd be at rehearsals by 2pm. And if I did, by 4pm. When I texted him that I'd be there later than earlier, he said everybody's cheering me on. Baki even said he didn't want to see me there at all! When I didn't make the top 3, they told me to hurry back and that they still loved the rollerblading rhino. Awwwwwwww... They even gave me big hugs and all when I got there. So sweet laa :)

Very blessed to have friends like you. Thank you so much. Not that I'm getting mushy, but words cannot describe la. I'll shut up now before I start sounding like a mushpot.

Labels:

0 wandered by:

Post a Comment

<< Home