"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself." - Charlie Chaplin

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Getting horny on stage.

Rhinoceros - a play by Eugeno Ionesco.

Frankly, I have no clue who Eugeno Ionesco is. In fact, I don't even know who's who in theatre.

Got into this whole 'acting' shebang quite by accident. It's not exactly something I've always wanted to do. But it's very interesting. Probably the reason why I'm still with Chris Jacob's ensemble. These people LOVE acting. I don't know if I can call my involvement a labour of love. It's more like... curiosity. Music is still very much my first love.

Rehearsals began early this month for Rhinoceros. It's about the people in a quiet French town turning into Rhinos. Some willingly grow horns and charge on, while some resist change. Some continue to debate about it... as one by one they succumb and join the stampede.

Kinda like us in real life. Torn between following our hearts and following the herd. Between doing what we want or what society expects of you. Between what's familiar and true. Or what's exciting and new. The fear of being alone. The fear of change. Alot of these issues are subtly wound into the story.

It will be produced by Sabeira and directed by Chris. In the 'theatre of the absurd" genre, it's really a funny play and even more fun to do.

Chris also asked me to do something I couldn't refuse. There's a bit in the play when the Rhinos start singing. He asked me to create the music or the song for it. Well, this play is far from a musical. But it's probably the closest I'll get to one for now. So how do Rhinos sing? That I'll have to figure out. Hahaha...

We're well into Act 1 now. It's quite a tough scene with everybody doing alot of different things at the same time. All the lines are interlaced with each other and must be delivered at precisely the right moment, without missing a beat.

I play a rollerblading waitress... and I can't rollerblade. Can almost imagine the impending disaster. Hahaha. Hope I don't kill anyone or fall into the pit.

The play's opening early December at Panggung Bandaraya. If anything, watch it for the violence and destruction! And of course, the laughs!

Meanwhile it's rehearsals every weekend. With a new job in November (joining Leo Burnett), I really don't know if I can cope. Gulp... see how lah!


Labels:

0 wandered by:

Post a Comment

<< Home